GL1100A Turn Signal Switch Short

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
innisa@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
1978 GL1000

GL1100A Turn Signal Switch Short

Post by innisa@gmail.com »

I made the unfortunate mistake of improperly wiring a new starter relay. I am trying to do a minor overhaul and troubleshooting a lot of bad wiring from previous owner who converted to LED lights on a 82 GL1100A, I purchased new connectors and proper wires colours from vintage connectors and with my trusty Honda service manual I began tackling the wiring issues, matching all wire colours with the wiring diagram. I found the relay’s dogbone fuse had been bypassed with 12 ga wire and the red/white wire had melted. Last summer I had issues starting and figured this was the problem. I installed a starter relay from Ricks Motorsports that I purchased from Fortnine (I am in Alberta, Canada) that has a blade style fuse. When I turned the key , the turn signal switch made a clunking noise, the headlight died and the horn wouldn’t work.
At this point I believe the starter relay has been wired correctly. Bike starts. I took apart every connector and cleaned them with Deoxit. I took apart and cleaned the turn signal switch and replaced all 5 fuses in the main fuse box. Headlight works, horns work ,but turn signals don’t work and I need help trouble shooting.
Every time I turn on the key, the turn signal clunks ( sounds the same as when it auto cancels), turn signals act as four way flashers ( switching left or right doesn’t matter).
I thought the 2 blade turn signal relay was burnt out so I replaced it, didn’t solve the problem. I changed to a three blade relay and connected the ground wire, didn’t solve the problem and the relay started glowing red and smoking.
I have a multimeter and a voltage tester but I am new to this and not sure if I am using them properly. I would just replace the switch if I was confident I wouldn’t just burn it out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Prlwng
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100a

Re: GL1100A Turn Signal Switch Short

Post by Prlwng »

83 aspencade.
In process of de-neglecting it. Had turn signals now do not. Got four ways. Sounds like same problem. Could hear clicking like signals were trying to flash.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

innisa@gmail.com wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:05 am I made the unfortunate mistake of improperly wiring a new starter relay. I am trying to do a minor overhaul and troubleshooting a lot of bad wiring from previous owner who converted to LED lights on a 82 GL1100A, I purchased new connectors and proper wires colours from vintage connectors and with my trusty Honda service manual I began tackling the wiring issues, matching all wire colours with the wiring diagram. I found the relay’s dogbone fuse had been bypassed with 12 ga wire and the red/white wire had melted. Last summer I had issues starting and figured this was the problem. I installed a starter relay from Ricks Motorsports that I purchased from Fortnine (I am in Alberta, Canada) that has a blade style fuse. When I turned the key , the turn signal switch made a clunking noise, the headlight died and the horn wouldn’t work.
At this point I believe the starter relay has been wired correctly. Bike starts. I took apart every connector and cleaned them with Deoxit. I took apart and cleaned the turn signal switch and replaced all 5 fuses in the main fuse box. Headlight works, horns work ,but turn signals don’t work and I need help trouble shooting.
Every time I turn on the key, the turn signal clunks ( sounds the same as when it auto cancels), turn signals act as four way flashers ( switching left or right doesn’t matter).
I thought the 2 blade turn signal relay was burnt out so I replaced it, didn’t solve the problem. I changed to a three blade relay and connected the ground wire, didn’t solve the problem and the relay started glowing red and smoking.
I have a multimeter and a voltage tester but I am new to this and not sure if I am using them properly. I would just replace the switch if I was confident I wouldn’t just burn it out.
Any help would be appreciated.
B85C3348-FE06-4A62-A945-EC7C515F585A.jpeg
what kind of flasher is it? mechanical or electronic. if you have replace lights with led, and still have a mechanical flasher, they will not light up. if you have incandesents, put them in and then try the signals. if they work, you need an electronic flasher.

pics of what you have done so far will help the rest of us to see what you have done, and what you may need to do.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

be sure to replace the timing belts before starting it up. old ones can break, and that can ruin an engine.