GL1100A Turn Signal Switch Short

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
innisa@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
1978 GL1000

GL1100A Turn Signal Switch Short

Post by innisa@gmail.com »

I made the unfortunate mistake of improperly wiring a new starter relay. I am trying to do a minor overhaul and troubleshooting a lot of bad wiring from previous owner who converted to LED lights on a 82 GL1100A, I purchased new connectors and proper wires colours from vintage connectors and with my trusty Honda service manual I began tackling the wiring issues, matching all wire colours with the wiring diagram. I found the relay’s dogbone fuse had been bypassed with 12 ga wire and the red/white wire had melted. Last summer I had issues starting and figured this was the problem. I installed a starter relay from Ricks Motorsports that I purchased from Fortnine (I am in Alberta, Canada) that has a blade style fuse. When I turned the key , the turn signal switch made a clunking noise, the headlight died and the horn wouldn’t work.
At this point I believe the starter relay has been wired correctly. Bike starts. I took apart every connector and cleaned them with Deoxit. I took apart and cleaned the turn signal switch and replaced all 5 fuses in the main fuse box. Headlight works, horns work ,but turn signals don’t work and I need help trouble shooting.
Every time I turn on the key, the turn signal clunks ( sounds the same as when it auto cancels), turn signals act as four way flashers ( switching left or right doesn’t matter).
I thought the 2 blade turn signal relay was burnt out so I replaced it, didn’t solve the problem. I changed to a three blade relay and connected the ground wire, didn’t solve the problem and the relay started glowing red and smoking.
I have a multimeter and a voltage tester but I am new to this and not sure if I am using them properly. I would just replace the switch if I was confident I wouldn’t just burn it out.
Any help would be appreciated.