What is best method to clean carbs..???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

What is best method to clean carbs..???

Post by velvetrider »

I rebuilt these carbs 5 years ago,, #2 was and has been a little problematic. I had to wait 6 months to correct an electrical problem. Then added a new starter, Finally got her back together and got her to run. The bike sat so long that the gas tank was completely empty. BlackVelvet runs good, but I suspect that float valve is sticking on #2. At 72,, I am not about ready to pull the carbs and do this again. Somewhere I heard/ read that there is a method of using mercury marine carb cleaner to super clean the carbs by closing air intake some when it is running, then open and shoot this Mercury carb cleaner in. Has anybody else heard of this? What is the best way to try and loosen this float valve pin,????

I am getting close now,, replace a front disc seal, from left front., I know how. and a new front tire.
Suggestions for the carbs?

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: What is best method to clean carbs..???

Post by LAB3 »

A spray type cleaner will only clean the parts that are exposed in the throat of the carb, this might be all you need. I've not done this on a Goldwing since I chucked my four carb setup and went with a single carb but have used Seafoam poured directly into the fuel supply line so it gets into the internals with good success. You could probably disconnect the fuel supply line and rig up a container to get it into the fuel pump which would fill the entire system, let it sit then drain it out of the float bowls.
MattMcCoy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by MattMcCoy »

velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by velvetrider »

Lab3, thank you. I am just going to use high concentration of Seafoam in the carb bowles only and let it sit for a day. Will give an update.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Of course, if a jet is completely clogged, no amount of Seafoam or any other cleaner will fix it, because it will never get there to clean it out.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

the carbs must be totally disassembled, spraying any type of cleaner into one, without removing the jets, is a waste of your time.

every single orifice must be tested with a spray chemical of some kind to see if the fluid comes out of the carb somewhere else.

the idle circuits are the hardest to get clean, and you can't do that with Sea Foam.

some tout using "Mechanic in a Can" which is stronger than Sea Foam by a lot, almost as strong as Spray Carb Cleaner...

whatever you do, wear tight Goggles.

harbor Freight has a nice little UltraSonic Cleaner, I got one, it will hold 1 carb at a time.
using a mild cleaner and let it run for a few hours, will get the idle circuits cleaned out.

I let it run overnight....
great for the wife's jewelry too. use Simple Green for that job, or Dawn dish soap
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

I'll agree that a complete teardown and cleaning would be best way to assure it's done right but when you consider that he doesn't care to pull them then Seafoam is pretty good option and at about $8 a can it's pretty painless to give it a try.