New starter,stopped,,,f***

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

New starter,stopped,,,f***

Post by velvetrider »

Well wouldn't you know,, New starter worked good, after I got everything back together. Rebuilt front left caliper. Decided to start her up, before replacing pads on right side of front wheel.
It will not engage starter chain, just spins and chatters as starter slows down. Does anyone know if this could be because of "bad" starter? I have the original, and have new brushes, the old ones where way short. I am not going to take it all down again, engine guards, exhaust, shifter. It is just too hard. I will try to remove new starter, as is. Any thoughts. ??????

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: New starter,stopped,,,f***

Post by winguyjo »

sounds like your starter is working but you have an issue with the starter sprague clutch. fairly common issue. they get gunked up and wont engage properly. it's an "engine out job" to get at them but LOTS of people have had success by adding a litre of seafoam, atf, or some other substance in the
oil and running it for 100km or so to try to clean it up. i would make a point of overfilling the crankcase by half a litre or so to give it a good chance at getting up there.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

Somewhere I read that hitting the starter button while the engine is running helps too, it did on mine. Then again, I was using the battery that came with the bike and it crapped out last winter, I've not had a problem since installing a new AGM battery. You just might want to put your battery on a charger to see if that helps, it won't cost anything other than two minutes of your time.
velvetrider

Post by velvetrider »

Thanks for the info guys. I have carb bowls full of 50/50, Seafoam and gas. The sprag clutch comes close but never engages, I guess I can get someone to pull the bike and pop the clutch in 2nd. I will put a charge on the battery, but it is Brand New, AGM. I have a lot of limbs and branches that need to be burned, I have the bike on a lift / resting on the center stand. I will put it on the side stand with 25% more oil and try to start it. Then again the notion using it to start my bonfire is not that distant of a possibility. At 72 I am always aware of the possibility of crashing and burning. I guess
it is better to forgo the crashing part. lol.
velvetrider

Post by velvetrider »

Wingguy, Do you have any Knowledge of how to make a GL1100 a kick starter. lol

If I do take off the starter, is there anyway to access the sprague gear, pawl, ie. ??
I wonder if anyone has a picture of it?,,,If I flipped the bike over is it likely to drop in the starter hole? Without being able to start it, The Seafoam and extra oil are not going to do much good.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

You can always push start it to get it up to temp and run the cleaner through everything.

Or use a track starter. ;)