Consulting the experts

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
arnoldsq
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Consulting the experts

Post by arnoldsq »

I finally have been getting some time to work on the project bike and have been making some progress.

First the backstory. I’m the 4th owner of this 82 interstate. The first owner used it as a seasonal daily driver and ended up using as trade for home repairs. The 2nd owner drove it a few months and decided it was to big and parked it in his barn for 10 years. The last owner rescued it from the barn. He gave up on it quickly as it had a bad starter, rusted tank, and surface rust holding the pistons in place.

The pistons was very minor rust as all I did was kick it in gear and rock a little before it broke free. Tank is cleaned, and starter replaced.

I rebuilt the carbs last night but with a cheap o ring kit. I ran each part through the ultrasonic and replaced all rubber but the big housing gasket between the 2 halves.

Today I installed the carbs and started the bike with no choke. It went straight to 3K RPM and stayed there. I grabbed my tools and went to adjust the idle screw down and as I bent down it died. From then on it would only attempt to start on full throttle. But it would sputter out when the starter was released. At this point I found the 1st carb pushing fuel out the top into the air box. Before I rebuilt 3rd was doing that. Do the floats ever stop floating and cause issues? I thought my kit was going to have replacements but they were the wrong model. I don’t know if I moved floats or not. I’m expecting I’ll need to pull the carbs again and get a rannds kit.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Consulting the experts

Post by Rambozo »

Needle and seat leaks are common. If the Viton tip on the needle is hardened, it will leak. Also you might have to polish the seats with a Q-tip in a drill and some metal polish. Carb kits are a case where you get what you pay for. You can find lots of folks here that tried cheap kits and ended up having to buy the good parts in the end. OEM Honda or Randakks are the places to get the carb parts.
arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq »

I did swap the flat valve and needle. I can’t remember where I had bought the kit from last year but I had them in a spare parts drawer when I had to stop to do some home repairs.
arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq »

Update. It’s definitely the floats. I got it started and turned off the fuel. She got up to temp and ran until it ran out of fuel. I will be ordering a good rebuild kit today. She’s smoky but that was the first start in probably 12 years. All 4 cylinders got warm and it doesn’t sound like it is missing at all.
arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq »

got my new parts kit in yesterday and as expected everything was wrong in the original. 3 of the 4 now don't leak at all. #4 carb seems to leak from the main jet needle. I don't have a syringe like suggested in the fuel check procedure, so I filled it with fuel till the input line was full of fuel and put about 5psi of air into it. im now wondering if I have a bad seat in that carb.
arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq »

Ok so I went and installed the rack back in the bike. Best results I have to date. I need to adjust the valves and sync the carbs next.

[Vimeo]