Knocking sound from the engine

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Boulton
Motorcycle: GL1100 A Aspencade

Knocking sound from the engine

Post by Boulton »

Please, could anyone help. Bike has a knocking sound at idle, but smoothes out once revved, balancing carbs is having some affect but the balance is constantly changing so unable to get it perfect. And don’t think its just a carb issue. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. I have tried at attach a video. Thank you.

Last edited by Boulton on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: Knocking sound from the engine

Post by LAB3 »

You have the tags for the video but no link.

When I first got my 1100 it was in rough shape and knocked upon start up a few times which was rather unsettling, after sorting out various issues with the fuel system and a new fuel pump I never heard it again. It could well be there was too much gas getting into a cylinder and causing a hydro-lock or something close to that, hard to say. Either way it goes, get that "Balance always changing" issue sorted out, something isn't working right there.
Boulton
Motorcycle: GL1100 A Aspencade

Post by Boulton »

Thank you for your advise
Jhurt
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100A

Post by Jhurt »

Does it knock when you crank it before it fires up? Mine did that, sounded awful. Pull the plug caps off and see if the knock goes away while cranking, do that one plug wire at a time to isolate the problem to which carb. That told me it was either a fuel or ignition issue but ignition system tested out fine. Rebuilt carbs with the Randall kit, knock went away.