Did I screw something up?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
kotkinjs1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Did I screw something up?

Post by kotkinjs1 »

Ok, mechanical or electrical (or carb?) question here. First off, 1982 naked Goldwing, was maybe an Aspencade originally. Single carb (a clone of the older VW model....30 PICT 1 or 2 I think). No other electrical or fuel system mods as far as I know. Had the bike for about a month and haven't really ran it since I got it but I know it ran well when I took it home.

So...I was doing a coolant system flush and fill, drained all the old coolant out of the rad and the overflow tank, filled it with distilled water and with the rad cap off, started the engine to start circulating/cleaning. Started ok, some water got pumped out of the rad cap like I expected, then POP from the carb (a small fuel explosion type of pop, not an electrical one I don't think), little white smoke out of the air cleaner (K&N cone type) at the top of the carb throat, and dead dead deadski. Wont restart. Starter solenoid clicks loudly when I push the start button but nothing. No cranking/turnover at all.

So is this a weird combination of things? Did water from the rad neck splash on something it shouldn't have? Did I just have the carb flooded? Hydrolock? Is the solenoid bad? All 4 or a combo of 2 or 3 maybe? All the fuses are good, new battery.

I'm going to pick up an 18mm spark plug socket tomorrow (my kit doesn't have one) and check for fuel in the plugs. Is there a way to check the solenoid? It clicks strongly so I think it's working ok. Would super appreciate any insights to this.

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: Did I screw something up?

Post by LAB3 »

If all you did was flush the cooling system it seems unlikely that you did something to cause a problem. If you pulled the plug wires off make sure you have them reinstalled properly then get that plug socket and check to see if you're hydrolocked, if you aren't I'd try to spin the engine over by hand. If it doesn't turn I'd suspect a broken timing belt.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
kotkinjs1

Post by kotkinjs1 »

LAB3 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:20 pm If all you did was flush the cooling system it seems unlikely that you did something to cause a problem. If you pulled the plug wires off make sure you have them reinstalled properly then get that plug socket and check to see if you're hydrolocked, if you aren't I'd try to spin the engine over by hand. If it doesn't turn I'd suspect a broken timing belt.
just checked the timing belts - they're good. could i have hydrolocked it by rolling/opening the throttle a few times or more while the bike was off....flooding the carb/engine? I was working it while spray cleaning the carb body earlier.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I doubt it is hydrolocked if it was running when it suddenly "Popped and stopped", but doesn't hurt to confirm.

So as you said sounds like a weird combo of things. Do you have a voltmeter or test light? First thing to check is voltage on both main terminals of the start relay when you push the start button. Relay may have quit. Clicking when you push the button doesn't necessarily mean it's making contact inside...
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

kotkinjs1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm So is this a weird combination of things? Did water from the rad neck splash on something it shouldn't have?
Possible, but without seeing it happen, hard to say.
Did I just have the carb flooded? Hydrolock?
Not likely, that is a mechanical pump, so without the engine running there is no fuel flow to the carbs. If you dumped a bunch of water into the carb, that would do it, but I think you would know that or have said something about that.
Is the solenoid bad?
Test it and see.
All 4 or a combo of 2 or 3 maybe? All the fuses are good, new battery.

I'm going to pick up an 18mm spark plug socket tomorrow (my kit doesn't have one) and check for fuel in the plugs. Is there a way to check the solenoid? It clicks strongly so I think it's working ok. Would super appreciate any insights to this.
Check the two large post terminals on the solenoid with a test light or volt meter. One should have power all the time, the other should have power only when you press the button.
I guess if you have some marginal ground wire connections, getting them wet could have been the last straw, so check that.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

If he's running a Pict carburetor (Like I am) they tend to shoot too much gas out of the accelerator pump as it is let alone while standing still. It's highly possible to have hydrolocked it, that's a big float bowl compared to stock carbs!
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
kotkinjs1

Post by kotkinjs1 »

So I think I narrowed it down with all your help here. I think it's the starter....

Tested the engine first for hydrolock; took out all the plugs and tried to start. Nothing. Ok good. Then ran another battery to the frame and starter motor directly. When I hit the red on the battery, also nothing. It should crank right away, right?

So if the battery is good, and the starter gets a full 12-something volts when I hit the start switch, that must mean the solenoid is good. But if the starter won't spin when 12v is applied directly then the starter must be bad, right?

Well, I'm glad it's not hydrolocked but a bad starter is still a few hundred for parts/labor but it could be worse I suppose.

Does all this make sense? Did I miss anything? So if it was the starter giving out when I tried to start it when it blew, what would explain the pop and puff from the carb throat?
mnmailman
Motorcycle: 1980 Vetterized gl1100

Post by mnmailman »

kotkinjs1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:25 pm So I think I narrowed it down with all your help here. I think it's the starter....

Tested the engine first for hydrolock; took out all the plugs and tried to start. Nothing. Ok good. Then ran another battery to the frame and starter motor directly. When I hit the red on the battery, also nothing. It should crank right away, right?

So if the battery is good, and the starter gets a full 12-something volts when I hit the start switch, that must mean the solenoid is good. But if the starter won't spin when 12v is applied directly then the starter must be bad, right?

Well, I'm glad it's not hydrolocked but a bad starter is still a few hundred for parts/labor but it could be worse I suppose.

Does all this make sense? Did I miss anything? So if it was the starter giving out when I tried to start it when it blew, what would explain the pop and puff from the carb throat?
The pop/puff was more than likely just plain unburned fuel backfiring through the carbs/throat. Regarding the starter, take it off and check the brushes and carbon dust amount in the housing.
More often than not, new brushes are all a starter needs. The excess carbon dust, which is from the brushes wearing, prevents the starter from working correctly.
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

The water spritzing out the open radiator cap - did it splash onto the ignition coils?
Do the plastic cases looked cracked?
Just a thought….
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)
kotkinjs1

Post by kotkinjs1 »

bruce swaybill wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:01 pm The water spritzing out the open radiator cap - did it splash onto the ignition coils?
Just a thought….
Bruce S.
Yes, so here's what I've done in the interim.....

Replaced the starter with one of Rick's. Was a bear to get it in but get it in I did. I think the gear to sprocket was just a super tight fit. Starts up but still real poorly. Front right header was cool to the touch and right exhaust was choppy and a little smoky for a few minutes. Hard to get it started. Replaced all the plugs. Starts better and runs a little smoother but still need to keep the throttle rolled on for a while until she warms up. Once warm the smoke disappears but it's still not perfectly smooth as I'd like. Still needs a few times to keep it running after pressing start. Likes to stall out it seems like.

To answer your question again, yes, when the rad cap splashed out it did get on the right side coil and wire. I assume that's bad to get that wet? I think my next step is to replace all the spark plugs wires to the coils?
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

kotkinjs1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:26 pm
bruce swaybill wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:01 pm The water spritzing out the open radiator cap - did it splash onto the ignition coils?
Just a thought….
Bruce S.
Yes, so here's what I've done in the interim.....

Replaced the starter with one of Rick's. Was a bear to get it in but get it in I did. I think the gear to sprocket was just a super tight fit. Starts up but still real poorly. Front right header was cool to the touch and right exhaust was choppy and a little smoky for a few minutes. Hard to get it started. Replaced all the plugs. Starts better and runs a little smoother but still need to keep the throttle rolled on for a while until she warms up. Once warm the smoke disappears but it's still not perfectly smooth as I'd like. Still needs a few times to keep it running after pressing start. Likes to stall out it seems like.

To answer your question again, yes, when the rad cap splashed out it did get on the right side coil and wire. I assume that's bad to get that wet? I think my next step is to replace all the spark plugs wires to the coils?
i suggest doing the 02 neon coil swap. fairly cheap to do it, and you be glad you did.

pull the negative cable and clean the contacts good a stiff wire brush and maybe some sandpaper, depending on how bad they look.

take all the spark plugs out and then turn the motor over with the kill switch off. it should spin a lot easier. do a compression test, and post the numbers here.