ACC Terminal - Low Voltage

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mdulrich75
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

ACC Terminal - Low Voltage

Post by mdulrich75 »

Hello, I've recently attempted to install a USB charger adapter to the ACC terminals at the fuse box on my 1982 GL1100. The USB backlight lit up right away showing that it was working, but after turning the key off and back on later that day it stopped working. I checked the voltage and the voltage for the ACC terminal is low. Considerably lower than it is at any of the other fuses. Any suggestions on why the voltage is intermittently low would be greatly appreciated.

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Re: ACC Terminal - Low Voltage

Post by bruce swaybill »

How does it compare to the battery voltage (across the terminals) ?

Voltages at other points are likely to be lower, perhaps much lower due to the effects of age (corrosion) on/in all the contacts/connections in the wiring harness.
Inside my fairing, I've found it to be 2.2V lower than the battery.
My regulator was over-charging the battery at 15.3V due to a low voltage on the sensing wire (black) from the ignition switch, which itself dropped over 1V.

If you really want the full battery voltage, without replacing a number of items, you'll need to connect straight to the battery through a relay with new/fresh wiring and solder all the connections.
On my bike I've done this for the regulator & volt meter, added fog lights and aftermarket horns. I use the ACC terminals just to activate the relays when the key is "on".

Additionally, make sure the ground connections are good and clean: battery negative wire, engine ground and harness ground behind the steering head.
Check for voltage differences with the battery or resistance (ohms) from battery negative to the wires at the ground points.

I have also changed all the lighting to LEDs (headlight, tail/brake & indicators, dash lights) to light the load on the alternator.
At this point, the fairing voltmeter (monitoring the battery directly) reads a consistent 14.4V regardless what is turned on.

Good luck!
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)
mdulrich75
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by mdulrich75 »

Thanks Bruce! You’re probably right about old corroded connections. I’m learning my way though all this one wire at a time. There’s a bunch of things not even plugged in. Just picked this bike up this summer and I’m looking forward to learning the ins and outs of it all. I’ve worked on cars using books. I think I need a book for this 😄. Any suggestions?
Attachments

This plug was just hanging
This plug was just hanging

Wire to this was just hanging
Wire to this was just hanging

Closer up of device a black wire was hanging from, what is this?
Closer up of device a black wire was hanging from, what is this?

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

Yes, you need a shop manual - get the Honda shop for the GL1100. Make sure it covers your model year. It was published 3 or four times ( 80, 81, 82, 83 ) covering the years up to that point. They are many original manuals on eBay.

In the picture, I think you have the plug for the self canceling turn signals. It’s a block box mounted in a rubber holder on the left side of the frame near the two back to back white igniter modules. Perhaps it was removed?

I can’t tell what you are pointing at in the second picture. In the third picture you are pointing at the oil pressure switch. Does the red oil pressure indicator light up when the key is on before the engine starts? Does is shut off once the engine is running?

Bruce S.

Have a nice day! :)