warm up question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

warm up question

Post by Chewy »

i have an 80 interstate and an 83 aspy. i can start both at the same time and let them sit with the rpm locked at 1500.

on the 83 aspy, the engine temp rises and the fan kicks on after about 5 or 6 minutes. i can let it run, and the temp stays the same, and it runs perfect.

on the 80 interstate, it will be 10 minutes or so before the fan kicks on. i can let it run, and the temp stays the same. it runs perfect as well.

it is 95f outside with both bikes parked one in front of the other. no shade on either bike. just a bright, sunny day.

my back is messed up right now which is the only reason i just let them sit there runnning. otherwise, id be hitting curves.

any help or thoughts are appreciated.

p.s. i have only had the aspy for a couple of months. have not had it on the road yet.
the previous owner was meticulous about the maintenance on the bike. the timing belts were done 2 years, 8k miles ago.
i helped him change them.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: warm up question

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Put stabil in the tanks, Fill the tanks. Run both one more time to get the stabil through the system. Shut them off. Hook up battery tenders, Don't start them again until you're able to ride,
Chewy
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

tfdeputydawg wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:34 am Put stabil in the tanks, Fill the tanks. Run both one more time to get the stabil through the system. Shut them off. Hook up battery tenders, Don't start them again until you're able to ride,
this gives me no information, or help, as to why one warms up in half the time as the other. i have never needed a tender on any of the bikes ive owned. when the bikes are stored for a while, i go out and start them once or twice a week and let them warm up, always idled up. this keeps engine fluids moving, preventing a dry start at the start of the riding season. it also keeps the batteries maintained. ive also never use stabil, or any other type of fuel stabilizer, never needed it. i use non-ethanol in my bikes. luckily, im 1/4 mile from a station that sells it.

i am looking for reasons as to why one bike warms up so much quicker than the other.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Could be any number of reasons. Nothing to worry about as long as temp control is maintained.
Thermostat not closing all the way.
Water pump flow rate different.
Cooling passages coated with various antifreeze additives.
Fan switch not exactly the same.
Slight differences in engine castings, causing turbulent flow at low rpm.
Mixture or timing differences between them. (Choke off or on?)
Differences in coolant concentration and performance.
And on and on.
We bought 5 new Ford Transit Connect vans, and on some the temp starts to come up in less than a minute, while others take 3 or 4 before the needle starts to move. Never seen an engine that builds heat so quickly. The water jackets must be minimal on them.
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by bofler »

Different years, different histories. Not really something to be concerned about, especially since you say they both run perfectly. I've heard, however, that an 1100 will warm up quicker when the carburetor is synchronized really well. That could have something to do with it, but could be something else.
Sig45227
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
2007 Yamaha FZ1
1992 Yamaha FZR1000

Post by Sig45227 »

Most likely a difference in jetting on the two bikes. One runs leaner than the other. Probably nothing to really worry about.

My 1983 is cold blooded and takes a good 6-7 minutes on high idle to be ready for a ride, even in 80 degree weather.
Chewy
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

Sig45227 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:40 pm Most likely a difference in jetting on the two bikes. One runs leaner than the other. Probably nothing to really worry about.

My 1983 is cold blooded and takes a good 6-7 minutes on high idle to be ready for a ride, even in 80 degree weather.
maybe thats all it is. i do plan on replacing the t-stat anyway tho.

on my 80, im usually riding before it is halfway warmed up. i take it easy until it is at operating temp.