replacing spark plug wire question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
kotkinjs1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

replacing spark plug wire question

Post by kotkinjs1 »

So I'm planning on replacing my #1 spark plug wire (1982 GL1100). I've never built a spark plug wire before. In looking online most of the copper core kits come with some kind of metal connector to crimp on the end which goes into the coil. When I look at the end of my wire, the one I want to replace, it looks like this......is this right? Do GL1100s just not have a metal connector at the end? The wire is just shoved into the coil? I don't really even see the copper strands where the little pin in the coil make the connection to. Or is something missing on my current wire?

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: replacing spark plug wire question

Post by LAB3 »

If you look into the opening in the coil you'll see what appears to be something similar to wood screw, same with the cap end. Typically you push the wire in while twisting it clockwise to make a connection. If the wire you have doesn't have any cracking I'd clip off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and reinstall it. Be sure to shoot some contact cleaner in the ends too to clean of that screw type fitting mentioned. Also you want to test the resistance of the caps, they should read about 5k ohms. It's pretty common for those to read much higher with age and if they do it's time to replace them.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Re: replacing spark plug wire question

Post by Chewy »

if it were mine, i would replace the coils and do the 02 neon coil swap. you will be able to get rid of the resistors in the plug boots. mine ran a lot better after i did this swap. my o.e. coils also had some small cracks in them.

i have also done the alternator mod on my 80 and love it.