Bodywork repair & Misc.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Sig45227
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
2007 Yamaha FZ1
1992 Yamaha FZR1000

Bodywork repair & Misc.

Post by Sig45227 »

Been working on odds and ends while waiting on parts deliveries.

Started doing some resto body work & nickel plating various parts and screws etc. with some success. Followed this guys example on YouTube.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Bought myself a relatively inexpensive plastic welder, $26.
I'm sure you have seen these online somewhere. I always wondered how well they work. Basically it heats up a wire and you push it into the plastic from behind and it embeds itself. You snap off the little Tang's with a wire cutters and you're done. I plan on covering melted area with some ABS cement. I did glue this tab back on with black ABS cement, after cleaning everything up with acetone.
The repair isn't the most aesthetically pleasing on the outside but it is so low you can't even see it on the bike. It's pretty strong, especially with the tabs melted into the back material.
Attachments

Freshly nickel plated bushing installed.
Freshly nickel plated bushing installed.

Sig45227
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
2007 Yamaha FZ1
1992 Yamaha FZR1000

Re: Bodywork repair & Misc.

Post by Sig45227 »

Here is my nickel plating setup, and an example of a couple parts I've done.
Parts need to be cleaned and Polished prior to plating, I dip them in a solution of muriatic acid and water, neutralize it in some water, then put it into the plating solution. It takes literally 30 to 60 seconds to flash plate the parts.
If you want a thicker coating you leave it in there longer, but results will vary. You cannot have any dirt or grease on the part are the plating we'll look suspect and fail.
Attachments