Air cleaner housing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
piero
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard

Air cleaner housing

Post by piero »

I am in need to remove the air cleaner housing of my 1983 GL1100 standard, bought new in 1983 and never modified. As a matter of fact, this is the very first time I attempt to remove the air cleaner housing.
Of course, I removed the air cleaner cover, the air filter, the two bolts holding the air cleaner case holder and the two a breather tubes underneath the air cleaner case. There got to be something...holding the rear of the cleaner case which moves up no more than 3/8 of an inch before getting tangled in something. The front of the housing lifts easily showing no impediment.
I have a sidecar on the right side of the bike, therefore the inspection of the underneath of the cleaner case is sort of difficult. Could the rear of the cleaner housing be blocked by the throttle cables or the fuel filter?

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Piero, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Sig45227
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
2007 Yamaha FZ1
1992 Yamaha FZR1000

Re: Air cleaner housing

Post by Sig45227 »

Should lift straight out there's nothing holding it on the back side. This is from my 83 about two weeks ago.
Attachments

Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

piero wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:04 pm I am in need to remove the air cleaner housing of my 1983 GL1100 standard, bought new in 1983 and never modified. As a matter of fact, this is the very first time I attempt to remove the air cleaner housing.
Of course, I removed the air cleaner cover, the air filter, the two bolts holding the air cleaner case holder and the two a breather tubes underneath the air cleaner case. There got to be something...holding the rear of the cleaner case which moves up no more than 3/8 of an inch before getting tangled in something. The front of the housing lifts easily showing no impediment.
I have a sidecar on the right side of the bike, therefore the inspection of the underneath of the cleaner case is sort of difficult. Could the rear of the cleaner housing be blocked by the throttle cables or the fuel filter?

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Piero, Minneapolis, Minnesota
check around the back of the cleaner for wires or cables and such. mine catches on my 83, but the one on my 80 comes out easily. my 83 is an aspy, so i dont know if there is more wires and stuff on mine that is not on yours.
piero
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard

Post by piero »

YES, the choke cable was holding the back of the air cleaner housing. That could have happened when I replaced (at least a couple of times) the fuel filter!!

Thank you for your advice,
Piero Bassi, Minneapolis
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

piero wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:51 pm YES, the choke cable was holding the back of the air cleaner housing. That could have happened when I replaced (at least a couple of times) the fuel filter!!

Thank you for your advice,
Piero Bassi, Minneapolis
I should have thought about the choke cable routing, because mine hung up like that once