gl1100 running on two cylinders

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
nk1812
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

gl1100 running on two cylinders

Post by nk1812 »

Hello all as the topic states I am only running on 2 cylinders.

But some back story on the situation. I got to a point on a restoration where I got the back together after getting the head gaskets done and fuel pouring out of carb #3 into the exhaust, replaced the carb. assembly with a spare set i had rebuilt. bike was idling rough and would barely role under own power. pulled ignition cables when idling and only ran on cylinders
1 and 3. took this as ignition coils gone bad replaced with new ones with cables. same issue only cylinders 1 and 3 firing. pulled carbs out rebuilt the 4 of them reinstalled them idles better and can move under own power. but lots of backfire on right side exhaust. send carbon debris out exhaust and cool air out of tailpipe. it does this at ~950 rpm, and runs smoother at ~1200 rpm. did the same test as be for and I know its at least running on cylinders 2 and 4 and potentially on one other.

sorry for the long text, but at road block and can't figure out how to solve this one out
[YouTube]

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: gl1100 running on two cylinders

Post by LAB3 »

On the first video the misfire goes away after you rev it up, this leads me to believe it's getting too much fuel at idle and once it's cleared out it's OK. A stuck float needle is common as is poor float level, beyond that we'll need someone else to chime in.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
MattMcCoy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by MattMcCoy »

Have you done a compression test? Did you replace any jets when you rebuilt the carbs?
nk1812
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Post by nk1812 »

when I got the bike I did a compression test and all pistons were a few digits away from each other. and i replaced all jets in the carb rebuild kits a picked up.
LAB3

Post by LAB3 »

nk1812 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:40 pm when I got the bike I did a compression test and all pistons were a few digits away from each other. and i replaced all jets in the carb rebuild kits a picked up.
One of the things I've figured out over the years is to not rely upon using the replacement parts in carb rebuild kits. Just like many other things, cheap knock offs are usually not as good as the original so I stick to replacing o-rings and gaskets and do what I can to clean up the original parts. A good carb dip is essential for this and using some 600 grit sandpaper followed by 1500 does the job well. Don't for get to clean up those slides too!
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
MattMcCoy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by MattMcCoy »

It’s my understanding that aftermarket jets are hit-or-miss on tolerances and can be an issue — especially the needle jets. Can the original OEM jets be used?
LAB3

Post by LAB3 »

MattMcCoy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm It’s my understanding that aftermarket jets are hit-or-miss on tolerances and can be an issue — especially the needle jets. Can the original OEM jets be used?
Absolutely! You can even get tiny brush kits to thoroughly clean out the holes in them.