Cleaning GL1100 in distilled boiling water

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
piero
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard

Cleaning GL1100 in distilled boiling water

Post by piero »

This is Randakk's suggestion:

"...20 minutes in a slow-boiling pot of distilled water is an excellent cleaning method for vintage Honda carbs. On early GoldWing carbs, leave the throttle and choke butterflies in place. They are very hard for amateurs to reassemble without introducing binding."

The above seems to be an acceptable cleaning procedure for the GL1000 and Randakk does not suggest the same method for the GL1100 and GL1200.
I wonder why that procedure shouldn't apply to the GL1100 as well!
Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks - Piero Bassi

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Cleaning GL1100 in distilled boiling water

Post by Rambozo »

These days it's hard to beat an ultrasonic cleaner for carbs. They do an amazing job.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

piero wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:45 pm This is Randakk's suggestion:

"...20 minutes in a slow-boiling pot of distilled water is an excellent cleaning method for vintage Honda carbs. On early GoldWing carbs, leave the throttle and choke butterflies in place. They are very hard for amateurs to reassemble without introducing binding."

The above seems to be an acceptable cleaning procedure for the GL1000 and Randakk does not suggest the same method for the GL1100 and GL1200.
I wonder why that procedure shouldn't apply to the GL1100 as well!
Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks - Piero Bassi
Can't say that I have an answer for your question but I can say that I've had varying degrees of success cleaning carbs this way. In one case I bought a bike to rehab that had the slides in the carbs sticking, they wouldn't move at all until I put them in boiling water. This allowed the slides to easily come out and upon mounting them back on the bike it ran but not real well. Ended up taking them off and giving them a proper rebuild, there's just too many nooks and crannies where varnish and other types of crud can collect. It would be worth a try to see if it does a good enough job but my guess is that in the end you'll end up tearing the carbs down anyway.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
piero

Post by piero »

LAB3,

My 1983 GL1100 carb slides work fine! My concern would be for the original throttle felt that....may get damaged by the "boiling water process". I'll try anyway and decide to take the carbs apart based on the result of dunking them in boiling water.

Thank you for your comment on this subject.

Piero Bassi
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

What other choices do you have for a solvent? It seems that boiling water is going to have the least ability to eat at the felt compared to other cleaning fluids.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
piero

Post by piero »

Exactly and that is what I hope! Thank you again.