Speedometer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Ptatsoc
Motorcycle: 1980 Standard has 83 Motor & Forks & has been dressed out

Speedometer

Post by Ptatsoc »

I have a resurrected 81 GL1100 finally have it up and running have put the first 200 miles on it. The speedometer took a dump started bouncing around and then stopped at Zero not even driving the odometer. Cable is good, drove speedometer with a drill and nothing happens. Is there a way to resurrect these. The other question is can I use a speedometer off of say a 750 will they work. Flee bay currently only has 2 speedometers listed for GL1100 and the asking price is way high.

Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Re: Speedometer

Post by Chewy »

Ptatsoc wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:37 pm I have a resurrected 81 GL1100 finally have it up and running have put the first 200 miles on it. The speedometer took a dump started bouncing around and then stopped at Zero not even driving the odometer. Cable is good, drove speedometer with a drill and nothing happens. Is there a way to resurrect these. The other question is can I use a speedometer off of say a 750 will they work. Flee bay currently only has 2 speedometers listed for GL1100 and the asking price is way high.
i dont know if one from a 750 will work, but i have one on my 81 parts bike i can sell cheaply. i will make a video to make sure it works.
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Post by Skeldog »

I replaced the one on my 82 with one from an 83. the 85 mph one probably got oversped and took a dump before I got it though the odometer still worked. but the 83 version was a 140 mph unit so no danger of over stretching it. just in case it will help.
Ptatsoc

Post by Ptatsoc »

Was able to open up the speedometer carefully pealed back the chrome ring and separated the top and bottom, the bottom was full of goop Soaked the bottom halve in MMO overnight. Put just enough in to cover the input drive from the inside. Was able to work the input shaft loose in the morning and seems to be free. Works when connected to the tach cable for now. Will see if it lasts.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

Ptatsoc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:46 pm Was able to open up the speedometer carefully pealed back the chrome ring and separated the top and bottom, the bottom was full of goop Soaked the bottom halve in MMO overnight. Put just enough in to cover the input drive from the inside. Was able to work the input shaft loose in the morning and seems to be free. Works when connected to the tach cable for now. Will see if it lasts.
Keep us up to date. My 83 isn't currently working and I'm planning to open it up sometime soon. Over the years I've learned that the cable often drives a dynamo which creates an electrical signal which the dial uses to move and have had good luck using rubbing alcohol to clean things up and silicon grease on the gears.
I'm selling good clean fresh hay. If you want some that's already passed through the horse, that comes a little cheaper!

The best advice on internet motorcycle repair forums comes from posting the wrong answer to your own question.
Ptatsoc

Post by Ptatsoc »

Well just did a 50 mile run at 75 to 85, that just barely keeps up with traffic here in TX, Speedometer and Tach both ran solid and smooth the whole run. Temp gage on the other hand need to trouble shoot went from 3/4 to 0 just after the turn around point, fuel gage working just fine so 7v thing is working, hopefully just a loose wire.
Chewy
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

Ptatsoc wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:37 pm Well just did a 50 mile run at 75 to 85, that just barely keeps up with traffic here in TX, Speedometer and Tach both ran solid and smooth the whole run. Temp gage on the other hand need to trouble shoot went from 3/4 to 0 just after the turn around point, fuel gage working just fine so 7v thing is working, hopefully just a loose wire.
check the connection at the temp sending unit. other than that, it could be any of the connections, a bad wire, or even a bad gauge itself.
Ptatsoc

Post by Ptatsoc »

Apparently when I put the cooling system back together after replacing the radiator, thermostat and the connecting tube o rings I disconnected the darn wire for the temp sensor it was not snapped onto the sensor just hanging there.
Chewy
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

Ptatsoc wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:13 pm Apparently when I put the cooling system back together after replacing the radiator, thermostat and the connecting tube o rings I disconnected the darn wire for the temp sensor it was not snapped onto the sensor just hanging there.
glad it was an easy fix