athena top end gasket kit

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

athena top end gasket kit

Post by Chewy »

does anyone have a reliable source for the gasket set? i have a failing gasket, and figure i might as well do both sides.

thank you.

biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: athena top end gasket kit

Post by biguns »

Unless things have changed you need to use Honda head gaskets, Others can fail prematurely I would not risk it.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

biguns wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:18 pm Unless things have changed you need to use Honda head gaskets, Others can fail prematurely I would not risk it.
i have seen posts where people used the athena kit cause it is built to oem specs.
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

I did some looking at pics of the athena and appear to be manufactured and cut well, the Honda ones are getting fewer and more expensive these days, I suppose I would use Athena or Veserha, The one thing to look at concerning head gaskets is a tight look to the gasket, a cheap head gasket looks frayed on the edges and cuts are not sharp or even, most importantly when you get a engine down to the head clean/clean/clean and strait edge the block and head just to be sure , sometimes aftermarket gaskets are not as forgiving as the factory ones.