GL1100 center stand frame cut

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
OldGoldie
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

GL1100 center stand frame cut

Post by OldGoldie »

Hopefully the title isn’t too confusing. I bought this bike in December. I knew it didn’t have a center stand. I didn’t know at the time that the 1100 seeps oil into the cylinders when parked on side stand due to bad valve guides. So I wanted to put a center stand on it, and I have a center stand, but the problem is some Jack hole cut off the part of the frame that the center stand bolts to. So there is no mounting a stock center stand to this bike. Can anyone offer any other solutions to parking the bike level that don’t involve carrying something heavy like a swing arm stand everywhere I go? Something else I can attach elsewhere on the frame that can hold the bike level and support the weight?

biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: GL1100 center stand frame cut

Post by biguns »

If you keep the oil filled at or below the screw that holds in the glass fill window you should be OK your still above the low level but not enough to seep.
By the way there is a stand that bolts below the radiator think it was a bates ride off stand.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Why not just weld back on the missing pieces for the stock center stand? I had to do this with a CB750 I bought where it was cut for exhaust clearance. I just made the two tabs from 1/4" steel and welded them in place using the stand as a guide.
OldGoldie

Post by OldGoldie »

Rambozo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:36 pm Why not just weld back on the missing pieces for the stock center stand? I had to do this with a CB750 I bought where it was cut for exhaust clearance. I just made the two tabs from 1/4" steel and welded them in place using the stand as a guide.
That would be great if I knew how to weld lol. I don’t want to practice on my frame and I don’t really want to spend the money on welding equipment lol I love it when people say why not do x, as if x does not require specialized equipment and practice
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I don't necessarily expect everyone to be able to weld, but I'm sure a local fab shop would be happy to do the welding for you for not much $. Many muffler shops are also open to that kind of odd job welding. Especially if you hunt up that section of frame from a boneyard so they have all the pieces to work with.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:19 pm I don't necessarily expect everyone to be able to weld, but I'm sure a local fab shop would be happy to do the welding for you for not much $. Many muffler shops are also open to that kind of odd job welding. Especially if you hunt up that section of frame from a boneyard so they have all the pieces to work with.
I agree. I will do welding on non-critical things that don't need to look good (because my welds definitely do NOT look good!), but for anything else, I'll just take it to a local shop and get them to do it. I have one shop nearby who will usually do work for me in exchange for me bringing a pizza. :)
OldGoldie

Post by OldGoldie »

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the ride off center stand, and I’m also going to replace the valve guides.
gsp4711
Motorcycle: GL1100A

Post by gsp4711 »

I think that you can save your time and money on the valve guides.
As I heard it, the smoke on start-up after the Wing has been on its side-stand is from the cylinders, not the valves.
The oil that is being flung around when the engine spins lubricates the cylinders. The oil on the cylinder walls, when the engine stops and is leant over on the side stand, runs down the bores and seeps past the rings. Then when starting up - pooof - a blue cloud from the left side exhaust.
Can any other Wingers confirm?
biguns

Post by biguns »

wing riders have known this for years, It is said keeping the oil on the top line allows oil to crest the left side cylinders not by much but enough to cause brief smoking. It is best to keep the oil about midway between the low and high mark.
Valve guide seals should be checked out if there are high miles, and cant hurt to change them.
OldGoldie

Post by OldGoldie »

biguns wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 pm wing riders have known this for years, It is said keeping the oil on the top line allows oil to crest the left side cylinders not by much but enough to cause brief smoking. It is best to keep the oil about midway between the low and high mark.
Valve guide seals should be checked out if there are high miles, and cant hurt to change them.
Well I’m new to wings and in my research, I kept reading that the valve guides were the cause of the problem. Honda even put out a service bulletin on the liter wings saying exactly that and to keep the bike parked on the side stand. So who do I listen to? Honda? Or strangers on the internet? As it stands I have not changed the valve guides. New ones are on the shelf.
biguns

Post by biguns »

nothing wrong with changing valve guide seals, there is allot of movement going on with the valves and they do wear, For as long as I have been riding I have heard that you never fill to the top line the center is best, try it and see what happens, fill halfway between lines and if it clears up on the left then fine, if it doesn't then try valve seals.
If it is smoking on the right then it has nothing to do with oil spillover, but if the bike has sat many years and your just waking it up if possible give it several hundred miles(more the better) and it may clear up, when the pistons sit on a flat motor the rings can stick slightly off center causing blow by and weak/uneven compression.