New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Post Reply
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »



Hey folks,
I'm gonna ask a few questions because I am a newbie. I Rebuilt the carbs on the Goldwing along with running some fuel lines. I have air, and fuel, but no spark on all 4. I looped the clutch lever wires and the kill switch wires on the handlebars. At least that's what I think they are. I removed the coils and got about 1.2ohms primary for each and about 26 secondary. Does that seem a bit low? I ordered new coils because why not? Could the ballast resistor be an issue for not getting spark at all? I've been cleaning connections, but so far no luck. Does anybody have suggestions or in Northern Colorado?
-Nick


User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by DenverWinger »

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have voltage on the black leads to the coils?

Where at in N Colorado? "United States" doesn't say very much.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
User avatar
Prlwng
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:55 pm
Location: Brandon, sd
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100a

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by Prlwng »

Double check kill switch. A couple times have pulled helmet off handel bars and then crank but no start. Kill switch flipped back to run and then it goes.
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »

DenverWinger wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:58 pm Welcome to the forum!

Do you have voltage on the black leads to the coils?

Where at in N Colorado? "United States" doesn't say very much.
I'm in Fort Collins, and the black wires that go into the ballast resistor should be hot correct? There is power going to the connection, but when I get home, ill have to double check.
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »

Prlwng wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 am Double check kill switch. A couple times have pulled helmet off handel bars and then crank but no start. Kill switch flipped back to run and then it goes.
I have flipped it back and forth. There are two wires under the brake lever/kill swtich. I twisted those wires together thinking that would bypass the kill switch. Is that wrong?
User avatar
OldguyGlen
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 am
Location: Mound,MN
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by OldguyGlen »

To confirm a few details noted above:
Yes the black wires on the ballast resistor should be HOT. The resistor is in the supply (+12v) path to both coils.
The kill switch is also in the supply (+12v) path and the 2 wires do connect for a RUN state. This part can be confusing because many bikes, outboards, power equipment motors, etc use a grounding switch as the "Kill" function, so an open circuit is required for RUN. But the Goldwings do require a closed connection which you have provided.
The spark plugs operate as 2 plugs in a series connection to 1 coil. Both plugs need to be connected (or ground the opposing plug wire) to test for spark in my opinion. But some disagree with that concept.
Next step would be to check for trouble in the ignition control modules as these bikes use solid state triggering.
User avatar
biguns
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:39 pm
Location: Ardmore Oklahoma
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by biguns »

Pretty sure the kill switch wire grounds out the ignition, twisting them together may cause no spark. someone check me on that
User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by DenverWinger »

nmarco32 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 am
Prlwng wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 am Double check kill switch. A couple times have pulled helmet off handel bars and then crank but no start. Kill switch flipped back to run and then it goes.
I have flipped it back and forth. There are two wires under the brake lever/kill swtich. I twisted those wires together thinking that would bypass the kill switch. Is that wrong?
Double-check that you didn't simply twist the two wires for the brake light switch. To get to the kill switch wires you have to open up the housing the kill switch is mounted into.

However, if you have power at the ballast resistor, the power has to go thru the kill switch to get there.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »

DenverWinger wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:15 pm
nmarco32 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 am
Prlwng wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 am Double check kill switch. A couple times have pulled helmet off handel bars and then crank but no start. Kill switch flipped back to run and then it goes.
I have flipped it back and forth. There are two wires under the brake lever/kill swtich. I twisted those wires together thinking that would bypass the kill switch. Is that wrong?
Double-check that you didn't simply twist the two wires for the brake light switch. To get to the kill switch wires you have to open up the housing the kill switch is mounted into.

However, if you have power at the ballast resistor, the power has to go thru the kill switch to get there.
I do have power to the black wire leading into the ballast resistor, still no spark coming out of the wires. I have 11.7 volts and it drops while I hit the starter. Guessing it must be coil related since I have power all the way through the black wire into the resistor.
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »

OldguyGlen wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am To confirm a few details noted above:
Yes the black wires on the ballast resistor should be HOT. The resistor is in the supply (+12v) path to both coils.
The kill switch is also in the supply (+12v) path and the 2 wires do connect for a RUN state. This part can be confusing because many bikes, outboards, power equipment motors, etc use a grounding switch as the "Kill" function, so an open circuit is required for RUN. But the Goldwings do require a closed connection which you have provided.
The spark plugs operate as 2 plugs in a series connection to 1 coil. Both plugs need to be connected (or ground the opposing plug wire) to test for spark in my opinion. But some disagree with that concept.
Next step would be to check for trouble in the ignition control modules as these bikes use solid state triggering.
I do have power going to the ballast resistor. So that means everything else is in working order and the coil is bad?
nmarco32
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:18 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by nmarco32 »

DenverWinger wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:15 pm
nmarco32 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:30 am
Prlwng wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 am Double check kill switch. A couple times have pulled helmet off handel bars and then crank but no start. Kill switch flipped back to run and then it goes.
I have flipped it back and forth. There are two wires under the brake lever/kill swtich. I twisted those wires together thinking that would bypass the kill switch. Is that wrong?
Double-check that you didn't simply twist the two wires for the brake light switch. To get to the kill switch wires you have to open up the housing the kill switch is mounted into.

However, if you have power at the ballast resistor, the power has to go thru the kill switch to get there.
The black wire to the resistor is hot at 11.7 volts while the key is on then drops while the starter is pushed. Bad coil I guess? No spark producing
User avatar
Rambozo
Posts: 3541
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: Disneyland
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by Rambozo »

Did it ever run?
Losing both coils at once is not likely.
With power at coils check for ground signals going to the coils. You can also test the coils for output by providing your own ground signal with a jump wire.
User avatar
Prlwng
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:55 pm
Location: Brandon, sd
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100a

Re: New to me 1982 Goldwing Aspencade. Fuel, Air, NO SPARK

Post by Prlwng »

Could be weak battery. When the volt gauge on my 83 reads 11.3 or so need to hook charger to it to fire up.

After a new battery it will read 12 plus. Yes, I know I need a battery as have one dead cell.


Post Reply