#2 not firing.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing7 : 1983 aspencade candy wineberry (?). current rider.

#2 not firing.

Post by winguyjo »

1981 gl1100 interstate.

i bought this bike with the carbs already removed and dis-assembled and cleaned them myself. if i recall correctly, i didn't split them, just removed bowls, jets, vacuum caps, etc. and gave it a good cleaning.

compression is 184, 192, 182, 192. new air filter, new fuel filter.

cylinder #2 does not seem to be firing. spark plug is wet when i remove it. has spark, but i swapped plugs, plug wires and caps around ... the problem always remains on cylinder number 2.

i removed the phillips screw from the intake runner and sprayed some starter fluid in there. the engine does rev up a bit when i do that, so it looks like a fuel issue, even though the spark plug is wet. will remove the carbs again and have a look-see. this far from my first time inside a set of goldwing carbs but i am wondering what i should be looking for, given the foregoing info. also worth mentioning that the exhaust for #2 is not getting hot, whether at idle or after high speed riding ... still the same, so it's not just a clogged idle jet. for some reason i have a wet spark plug while also seemingly having a fuel delivery for that cylinder. i am befuddled.

your suggestions are most welcome.

biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: #2 not firing.

Post by biguns »

sounds like it may be getting too much fuel, take off the intake manifold and see if it is flooding the cylinder, just pull it off and turn the gas valve on(bike sitting upright on center stand) you may see it is wet as soon as you remove the manifold down in the valve area, you can also add some fuel pressure by turning the kill switch to motor off position and crank the motor over to add fuel pressure, if it is wet your flooding and the float is stuck or not set right, don't try and run if it is flooding because it could hydro lock and damage something.

Had another thought to try, shut the gas OFF with it running and as the gas level drops in the carbs it will stop flooding the cylinder and will smooth out for awhile before it dies from lack of fuel. this will identify if it is flooding the cylinder on 2 of course the plug has to fire so dry it out first.
Still I would be wary of running it with the gas ON because of the flooding.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Not enough hot sauce on your burrito?
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing7 : 1983 aspencade candy wineberry (?). current rider.

Post by winguyjo »

"Not enough hot sauce on your burrito?"

if only it were that easy !