Gaining access to coil packs on 1982 GL1100?

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
Cyb3rst0rm
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate (No dress kit)

Gaining access to coil packs on 1982 GL1100?

Post by Cyb3rst0rm »

Is there a guide or video anywhere on how to access and remove the coil packs on a 1982 GL1100? I'm trying to track down why my bike starts making a ticking noise and starts to slowly lose power under sustained heavy load (runs fine cold, or if ridden gently, can cruise all day at 55 but bogs out on the interstate at 75). Possibilities I found during my research were fuel flow issues causing the fuel pump to tick, and faulty coils overheating, cracking their housing, and grounding out. I've replaced the fuel pump, ordered a new fuel cap (incase the vents are bad), and I've got new coil packs on the way and I was planning on getting the old ones out while I wait for them to arrive but my god do they appear to be buried behind ALOT of very fragile looking thick gauge wiring and electronics.

Is there a good guide anywhere on the proper way to gain access to them?

Cyb3rst0rm
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate (No dress kit)

Re: Gaining access to coil packs on 1982 GL1100?

Post by Cyb3rst0rm »

So I finally tackled this last night and while it did not fix my problem, it did improve the bikes performance overall slightly as my plug wires were completely shot.

Regardless I wanted to document what the procedure was. Moderate difficulty, took me about 2 hours to change them. A few snags along the way.

* Remove seat
* Remove false tank
* Remove the chrome carb shields if so equipped.
* Remove 10mm bolt holding the coolant reservoir on, let it hang down out of the way or fully remove it. I just let mine hang down.
* Disconnect air box breather hoses on each side
* Remove air box cover
* Remove air filter
* Loosen 2 10mm bolts inside the airbox
* Remove airbox
- There is a rubber gasket above the carbs below the airbox you want to make sure you keep track of
* Shove something into the carb intake to keep debris from falling down there.
* Disconnect 4 pin connector from main wiring harness just to the left side of the fuse box, thats the connector for the coil packs.
* Disconnect spark plug wires from spark plugs
* Route each set of wires up above the carbs, below the frame, and up out of the airbox space. Depending on how your bikes throttle, clutch, and choke cables are routed you may have to fight to route past them.
* From the right side of the bike, look at the coil packs. You'll see 2 10mm bolts. One above and to the left, one below and to the right. Loosen and remove both. The coil packs are now free. Not the one towards the front of the bike has a chassis ground wire on it, make sure to put that wire back in place later.
* Disassemble the coil pack assembly noting the orientation of the coils in relation to the wiring. There is a reference here if you get the wires mixed up:
https://www.randakksblog.com/error-in-g ... ce-manual/
- To disassemble the coil pack assembly there are 4 screws which must be removed out of a total of 6 screws, 2 of these hold what appear to be some sort of electrical ballasts to the bracket and do not need to be removed to replace the coils, only the 4 screws (2 top, 2 bottom) that go through the holes on the coil packs must be removed. These screws on my bike were rusted, seized and attempted to strip out. I have to use a pair of vice grips to loosen them, I recommend loosening them that way first and then switching to screwdriver.
- Once these screws are out you will be left with the coils, the ballast bracket, and 2 smaller brackets (that the 2 10mm bolts you removed earlier, and the screws mount to)
- Reassemble with new coil packs
* Put the coil packs back into the bike, start by mounting the front 10mm bolt that has the ground connector. My aftermarket coils were too short relative to the original, so the back 10mm bolt did not align afterwards, I just used a ziptie in place of the bolt.
* Route spark plug wires to spark plugs through the space between the frame and carbs. With the coils installed on the bike, from right to left should be wires for cylinder 1 2 3 and 4 in that order. Refer to the above link for more information.\
* Reinstall air box gasket, air box, filter and lid. Reconnect airbox breather hoses.
* Remount coolant reservoir.
* Reconnect the 4 pin connector to the coil packs
- At this point I started my bike to confirm proper operation
* Reinstall seat and false tank.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.