Spark plugs carbon fouled all 4

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Curtissterling
Motorcycle: 1982 GL aspencade

Spark plugs carbon fouled all 4

Post by Curtissterling »

Hi I have a 82 Honda goldwing GL1100 aspencade all four spark plugs are carbon fouled I have done it rebuild on the carburetors and has been sitting for 6 years with only 30,000 miles any help would be grateful thank you

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Spark plugs carbon fouled all 4

Post by Rambozo »

Four posts for four fouled plugs?
Curtissterling

Post by Curtissterling »

I only typed it once
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

The multiple copies of the original post were a curious phenomenon, but apparently corrected now.
Maybe it's engine oil. Does it smoke? Have you done a compression check? Maybe stuck rings from layup time. Maybe a clogged crankcase breather tube?
Curtissterling

Post by Curtissterling »

Here's what I've done so far I have pulled the carburetors off and a the carburetor on number two cylinder was completely plugged with Sandy grit old gas I cleaned the carbs put them back on and it didn't change anything so I bought rebuild kits cheap ones I put them in clean the carbs again make sure all the passengers were all clean put the cars back on it would Ben idle and as soon as I turned the pitcock on to give it a fuel supply it run for a couple minutes and then die but if I turn the peacock back to off start it crank the engine for a little while it'll start back up and run like a raped ape until it runs out of gas but if I turn the peacock on it just dies so I pulled the four spark plugs and all four spark plugs are carbon fouled not oil fouled and yes I have checked and rechecked the float levels they are exactly 15.5 mm
Curtissterling

Post by Curtissterling »

And no it does not smoke and I have done a compression test but I think I did it wrong cuz I got like 60 and three of the cylinders and 30 in one so I think I messed up the compression test but it would not run very well on low compression if you leave the pitcock off it runs like crazy I mean super strong with no smoking until it runs out of field then it dies
Curtissterling

Post by Curtissterling »

So a quick question if I forgot to put the little o-ring in the air cut off valve would that cause the bike to carbon file the plugs
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Curtissterling wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:32 am Hi I have a 82 Honda goldwing GL1100 aspencade all four spark plugs are carbon fouled I have done it rebuild on the carburetors and has been sitting for 6 years with only 30,000 miles any help would be grateful thank you
Well that's typically going to be from a too-rich mixture. I normally would say look for air restrictions (dirty filter, etc). but being that you just rebuilt the carbs, that's going to be your likely cause.
Curtissterling

Post by Curtissterling »

Currently I do not even have the air filter on it I tried to turn my air fuel mixture screws all the way in and it doesn't make a difference where I put the fuel air mixture screws at it does the same thing it doesn't run any different any help would be grateful thank you
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: ,
1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Based on your various reports above, it suggests the carbs are flooding the engine. The floats might be adjusted to the right height, but may be sinking instead of floating (not likely however). The needle valves are suspect... not seating well, leaking due to seat or other carb gasket fails. I suggest you test for carb flooding... leave the petcock open and watch for fuel showing up in the plenum. Or remove the rubber boots and watch through the carb throats, or set up a clear fuel line plumbed into the fuel line from the petcock, and raise the free end up about 4 feet and introduce fuel. Watch for the fuel level to continue dropping in the clear line, even after the carbs floats should have shut it off.
Caution... carb flooding while parked can lead to hydroclock if the fuel drains into a low-side cylinder overnight. Turn the petcock off except while running, or testing as above.