New problem, clutch?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Trikerjim
Motorcycle: 1987 (D) gold coloured GL1200 interstate

New problem, clutch?

Post by Trikerjim »

Ay up again. Well have got wiring done, new belts, n new starter motor, new battery n brakes. So thought I would have meself a maiden voyage. Put into first and it's dragging it stalled like I got 1st with clutch out? Started again and shifted to 1st with a few revs, it drags like clutch not fully disengaged. This bike has been stood stationary for 3 years. Is this the problem, does it need a run , ot clutch bleeding, or oil changing, or pulling apart lol. All help and guidance great fully recieved, as ever. Jim

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Re: New problem, clutch?

Post by Rusty Bike »

Well, you can try bleeding the system. System uses DOT 4 fluid. Make sure to cover any painted surface and/or plastic with a plastic drop cloth. Brake fluid will ruin paint on contact! While your at it clean the resevour and flush system with new fluid untill nice clear fluid comes out of slave cylinder. If that does not help, you need to rebuild master, slave or both.