sparkplug/carb question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

sparkplug/carb question

Post by walker70 »

Hello,just got the bike running well but still have an issue regarding my #2 carb,it looks like it is still running a bit rich,I have the pilot screws set at the factory setting,the bike runs really good when it is warmed but the plug for that cylinder looks and smells like it is still maybe letting too much fuel in,so I am thinking that maybe I will need to take the carbs off and adjust the float for that carb,all the other carbs are doing great and the plugs are a nice greyish tan color,here is a photo of the one that is getting wet although you may need to look closely,any other ideas,thanks.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: sparkplug/carb question

Post by ekvh »

Could be a high float, but often it's a leaky float valve or fuel carb-to-plenum o-ring. Pull the slide cap and slide, turn the fuel on and wait a while to see if and/or where it leaks from.

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams »

I would make sure that plug wire is firing right also. What happens when you take one of the clean plugs and put in that cylinder. See if it still runs rich. Are you taking out on the road or just idling in your shop? I would use some anti-seize on the plug threads also.

twocams

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Have been taking it out on the road for the last week or so,I have changed the plugs like you said with same results,I think it has either not seated the float valve or the float itself is like ekvh says,just a little higher than the other three carbs.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Another way to check for leaking too much fuel is to turn the petcock off while riding. If it gradually improves then starves, you know you are running rich. It still could from 3-4 sources. It's worth investigating before pulling carbs- in my did-it-several-times-before-learning experience.

Bike on ctr stand or level. First check is to look into the plenum through the air box/filter. Is it wet? It should be bone dry. If so, why? Plenum gasket or carb-to-plenum gaskets, the ones around the fuel feed openings. To find out, dry off, place piece of paper towel in the plenum floor, turn on fuel and see where it gets wet first, along the center(plenum gasket) or from the sides which indicates carb-to-plenum gaskets or possibly float valves.

Second pull the slides and covers-can be done still on bike. Dry the throats out, turn fuel on and watch. If your floats are high or your float valves are leaking, it should come up through the emulsion tube openings. You need to watch carefully though to make sure it isn't coming from the plenum end of the carb which would indicate carb to plenum orings.

You can separate the carbs from the plenum with the linkages still attached to replace orings there. The tricky part is keeping the choke connectors in place. Use the chrome carb stays to keep the carbs aligned. A piece of tape around the choke connectors will help keep them in place.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Question/help? If a float is high, won't that carb have more fuel in the bowl? Drain and accurately measure fuel quantity per carb?

Just an idea
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

walker70

Post by walker70 »

That sounds like a good idea,thanks.