Sissy bar

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Sissy bar

Post by Rusty Bike »

Hi all, I wish to take the trunk off of my SEi. I would prefer a luggage rack and sissy bar setup. I may use the existing rack that the trunk is currently mounted on but still need a sissy bar. Any suggestions on where to find such items? Lightly used is acceptable also. Thanks...Rusty

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Sissy bar

Post by WingAdmin »

Rusty Bike wrote:Hi all, I wish to take the trunk off of my SEi. I would prefer a luggage rack and sissy bar setup. I may use the existing rack that the trunk is currently mounted on but still need a sissy bar. Any suggestions on where to find such items? Lightly used is acceptable also. Thanks...Rusty
I doubt you're going to find a pre-made item like this, I'm not aware any aftermarket item was ever made. You're going to be into custom fitting/modification to do this.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Thanks addmin, that's kinda what I figured. I have done several web searches to no avail. I wonder what type of tubeing to buy to fab one up. Bend/weld one up and send it to the chrome shop. I bend pipe for a living, can't be that hard. Hmmm

stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

Post by stinvinn »

HI RUSTY IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE YOUR TRUNK OFF I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASEING IT IF IT IS IN GOOD SHAPE NO CRACKS ETC. I HAVE AN 86 SEI ASPY AND THE BOTTOM OF MY TRUNK IS CRACKED PRETTY BAD THANKS RIDE SAFE

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

Mine has a small crack in the lid rear corner. If I do take the trunk off, I'll be saving it for future use. I took a look at your SEi. We spoke last march on here. Your's is pretty uncluttered. Mine is OEM save the highway pegs. It would be a shame to sell the trunk. I think that makes it somewhat collectible.. I'm not a fan of bike bling! How's that bike of yours holdin up? Mine has one jug cutting out at low RPM, feels electrical in nature. Still dependable though, will look at it when the snow flies. I'll be taking my Mom and Dad for a ride tomorrow, they are both 85! Dad had an Indian when he was 17, he had a Panhead when I was 4. He was running a Wizzer to school when he was 12. Different world now!

stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

Post by stinvinn »

HEY RUSTY MY SEI IS HOLDING UP JUST FINE I HAD STARTER DRIVE PROBLEMS THIS SUMMER SO WAS LAID UP FOR ABOUT SIX WEEKS GETTING THAT DONE BUT STILL PUT ON 1500 MILES SO FAR THIS SEASON AND ITS STILL IN THE HIGH 50S HERE SO NOT DONE YET
WITH 98000 ON THE CLOCK SHES STILL PRETTY STRONG . I JUST PICKED UP A SET OF DRIVER FLOORBOARDS OFF EBAY SO THATS MY PROJECT FOR TODAY