Brakes, really doing my head in now

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Trikerjim
Motorcycle: 1987 (D) gold coloured GL1200 interstate

Brakes, really doing my head in now

Post by Trikerjim »

Evening all, again. SO my once non running bike is nearly ready for Mot. But brakes grrrrrrr. I ain't daft, and I know my way around my tools, but I can not get a decent lever on my front or rear. THE story so far, calipers were sticking, so I took hoses off, let all fluid out, popped pistons out, cleaned em up with fine wet n dry, cleaned and greased all sliders, pins and anti squeal plates and re fitted. Flushed all the old fluid out with new fluid. I know the handlebar lever only operates the off side front, but I can get the lever all the way back to the grip, there is resistance , and the wheel locks up , turned by hand but the lever shouldn't come that far back?. I have bled it and bled it some more, cracked the bang off and bled there, on the master cylinder too, bled with caliper off and turned so the nipple is pointing directly upwards but still not proper feel on the lever.
Where am I going wrong? Pads are half worn, not that that should make a difference. Feels like air but am sure bled all of it out, and more. ANY advise great fully recieved. Thanks. JIm

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: Brakes, really doing my head in now

Post by roadwanderer2 »

is there any way you can post a photo of how far your handlebar break lever is when you squeeze it and maybe a photo of the front brake caliper showing it gripping the rotor once you squeeze the hand break lever? i need to see how far the caliper piston is extracting and what the pads look like.

stuart.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

cable tie the brake lever back to the handlebar- then make sure the master cylinder is at its highest point - by turning the handlebars in the appropriate direction.
leave it overnight - and give the calipers a bump with a rubber mallet and the master cylinder as well - any air in the lines SHOULD find their way to the top of the master cylinder

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Aussie81Interstate wrote:cable tie the brake lever back to the handlebar- then make sure the master cylinder is at its highest point - by turning the handlebars in the appropriate direction.
leave it overnight - and give the calipers a bump with a rubber mallet and the master cylinder as well - any air in the lines SHOULD find their way to the top of the master cylinder
+1 great advise!

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike