speed sensor

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

speed sensor

Post by walker70 »

Hi,does anyone know if these sensors are interchangable from any year of goldwing,the one on my 86 I need to get off but whoever put that one on must have tightened the phillips screw with an impact driver cause I may have to grind the head of the screw off to get the sensor off the hub but hopefully I won't damage the sensor,if I do damage it was just wondering if the sensors on the 83 -87 bikes are the same,thanks. :D

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: speed sensor

Post by wilmo »

That screw is actually a JIS, not a philips. If you have the original tool kit, use the screwdriver included in that. It is a perfect fit. The first time I did it was with a philips and it just didn't quite grab, used the JIS bit and loosened easily.
The speed sensor will have to be from a 85 or 86. Honda changed them around during the years, I know, mine is dead, too. In 87 the pulse voltage increased to 10VDC to accommodate the cruise control. Don't know why the 84 is different but the part number is different than 86.
A couple of other things that differ between the years includes the rear wheel and placement of the stator plug.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

Seems to me I read a thread somewhere here that for some different models the part number changed because they reversed the male and female plugs to stop people like us from using other models. Just what I read.

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 »

Yeah,I have read the same thing so it seems to me that is the only difference between them.