ABS plastic repair

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

ABS plastic repair

Post by stinvinn »

ok the bottom of my trunk is cracked and i would like to repair,, is there a DIY for this here? or has anyone had any success with repair

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ABS plastic repair

Post by WingAdmin »

For a large area like this, I would use a panel to sister the repair.

First, I would get a piece of ABS sheet - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-89-0 ... ingdocs-20

This is 1/8" which is likely fine for this repair.

Next cut the sheet to cover the crack and at least an inch or two beyond either end of the crack. If the crack goes around curves, etc. then heat and form the ABS sheet to fit. It should fit perfectly against the bottom of the trunk (on the inside is preferable).

If there is any paint on the trunk plastic around the crack, it needs to be sanded away, so that bare ABS is exposed.

You will need ABS plumber's cement (NOT PVC cement and not combination cement). I use this Oatey's cement for all of my repairs with excellent results:

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30917-Spec ... ingdocs-20

Smear a layer of this cement on both the trunk surface as well as the ABS sheet. Apply the sheet to the repair, allow it to bed in for 10-15 seconds, then clamp it in place. Allow to cure - with large repairs this could take up to a day, small repairs take an hour or two to fully cure.

The end result will be a thicker plastic base that will actually be stronger than the original trunk. The ABS sheet will bond chemically and become part of the original trunk - i.e. you will never be able to remove it.

On some large cracks I will first grind a small "V" along the crack on the back side, to allow more surface area for the cement to bond to right around the crack area.

If you have cement squeeze out the other (painted) side, clean it up before it cures.

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

thanks wing admin the weather is still to nice here in ND to put the bike up for the winter but once it is put up i will remove the trunk and get this project started

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Drill a small hole at the very end of every crack (stop drill) to stop the crack from spreading, prior to the above repair. Let us know the results...Good luck

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

jb weld does a great job, I repaired a crack on the bottom of the trunk and it worked well .

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

The first thing to do is ascertain why the trunk cracked :

I know why mine cracked after a trip to Alaska: Hundreds of miles of terrible roads , with 30 to 40 pounds in the top box , and often another 20 pounds on the top box rack... a heavily overloaded object , held on by just 4 bolts ... agh !!

Now I try to keep just scarves, gloves, vest , etc in the top box .
Sadly, if I am going on a longer trip, I often forget , and overload it again .
----------------------------------------------------
There are 3 methods of repairing ABS boxes and saddlebags :
1) Plastic welding
2) Plastic ABS solvent ... usually MEK or acetone glues or slurries
3) J-B Weld and fiberglass tape/ glass to strengthen any repairs
---------------------------------
I have done 2 of these methods, with fair success :
1) If you can find a plastic welder .. it makes a very strong weld . I had a welder install a new floor patch and weld up the crack .. after Alaska . It lasted 8 years .

2) The solvents used in plastic glues or pure MEK are smelly and rather toxic to your skin , your brain cells , and to various painted surfaces... but work very very well.
See here for Rusty bikes method :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35089

and further down , same post , for WingAdmin's method with MEK slurry .
Probably as strong as plastic welding, as MEK dissolves ABS, and allows it to become a new solid piece .

3) My second crack repair is also detailed there ( 2 down ) :
I used J-B weld to seal the gap, and fibreglass tape and glass inside and out to strengthen across the crack
and two glass patches to reinforce the bolt holes, where the crack started .

THAT repair has lasted 2.5 years .. so far , so good.

===============================

I think if you find just why it cracked , and fix THAT cause ....then any of these will work .

LOL
There is also a 4th method ... Search Ebay for a new top box ... lol.. and repaint it ..
... very pricy but it will still be a 30 year old box, and might also crack .

Good Luck
SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

oldishwinger wrote:jb weld does a great job, I repaired a crack on the bottom of the trunk and it worked well .
The problem with J-B Weld on our ABS plastic is that the plastic is flexible, the J-B Weld is not, and both of them expand/contract at different rates with heat/cold. Eventually, it will break free. Using ABS/slurry/MEK (ABS cement) chemically bonds the ABS patch to the original plastic, and it all becomes one new piece of ABS. The repair can't break free, because it's no longer a repair, it becomes one new piece of plastic.

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

. OK so I bought the bike with 97,000 on the clock I have no idea how the crack happened I would just like to find the best way to repair...I am try,,fingers crossed to include a pic of the damage to my trunk the xs are the crack the circled area is a missing piece of ABS.has anyone made a repair similar to this.the trunk hasn't been removed yet .It was 68 degrees here in ND today so I'm still rideing.i have heard of using fiberglass mesh and ABS glue .has anyone done this...I'm just trying to compile info right now and once she's put up for the winter .tackle this project thanks

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue »

Using ABS solvent cement works so well that when I had to do repairs to my Tupperware after a deerstrike a couple years ago I didn't think twice about it. Some parts were just too badly damaged to repair and others were simple.

This photo shows the underside of my front fender that was broken into two separate pieces and a few long cracks.

Under front fender
Under front fender

This shows the top side, the red lines are a little bit of body putty to fill some small low spots in the joint.

Top front fender
Top front fender

This is such a strong joint that if bent far enough to break again it would break in a new place and not at the weld.
In repairing the bike I had a hard time finding a good fairing at a reasonable price in my area. So I bought one that had damage to the opposite side from mine......... a little careful measuring......and remeasuring..... and cutting, you get two fairing halves that are ready for
" Glueing " together again.

Two halves
Two halves

Hey they fit each other......

They fit
They fit

Now just remove the paint and align the halves, apply the ABS solvent cement, let fully cure and sand to remove the ridge.

If you look closely you can see the new ABS weld line running vertically . A little primer paint and a hand sanding and this too disappeared

This turned out to be a near perfect alignment and I am confident that it is as strong as the original fairing if not stronger. When final paint is applied you will never know it was ever damaged.Stupid deer..,.. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Stick with Admin's formula. Do not use fiberglass cloth, JB weld or any other glue. Here is what I would do. First remove that metal bracket. Next, find the very ends of the crack and stop drill the ends of the crack. This will prevent the crack from creeping in the future. The USAF taught me this! If there is paint in that trunk, sand it away. You may want to sand the aria anyway just to roughen it up and get it cleaner. Blow out dust. Open that crack up and apply some acetone or MEK with a paint brush and blow out immediately with compressed air. Protect any painted area. This will clean the crud from the crack. Clean the entire repair with same stuff on a rag. Wear nitrile gloves available at auto parts store.. Get yourself some ABS plastic. A black plastic plumbing fitting or the ABS sheet from Amazon will do just fine. Grind, shred or otherwise rip up the ABS material as small as you can. That is a large repair so you are going to need a good amount of material, better to mix too much then not enough. Mix ABS shavings and MEK in a glass or SS container. Stir and keep covered to prevent evaporation of solvent. It may take a few hours for ABS to complacently melt. You could probably mix some of the Oatly ABS cement into this concoction if you want but I don't think it is necessary. While this is going on. Dampen repair aria with MEK several times to prime/soften the repair area. Adjust the ABS/MEK goop mix to a fairly wet consistency. This is where I screwed up my repair. My mix was too dry and did not burn in properly when applied. OK, everything ready? Dampen repair aria again and apply the Goop across the entire repair area. Fill up those ribs till level. I would use a curved tool of some sort. The back of a large metal spoon comes to mind. Do this work in a well ventilated aria or you may get a cheep buzz! WooHoo! Work quickly as the goop will start to stiffen as soon as it is exposed to air. OK, done...don't mess with it. Put a trouble light on the repair for some heat, not too hot. Let it set for a couple of days. When all the solvent has evaporated, you will have a fine repair that has become one solid piece of plastic. If you think it needs more strength, which I doubt, you can mold some ABS sheet with a heat gun and put on another layer by following Admins procedure listed above. I am very confident that this is the way to go for plastic repairs on our machines. Go for it...Rusty

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

Additional notes: When applying the goop, work some into the crack by initially wedging maybe a few peices of wire to hold the crack open. Remove wire shims then finish applying goop. When goop just starts to harden you can shave off anything that is protruding on the outside of the trunk, with a sharp knife. It comes to mind that you may want to use two spoons to apply goop. One to scoop up goop from mixing container, and one to push it off the first spoon and spread it around. For that small hole just put a couple layers of painters tape across the hole on the outside as a kind of form, then just fill the hole as you go. Remember, work quickly, you can add solvent to the mix if it starts to stiffen as you go. :)
Last edited by Rusty Bike on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

RoadRogue, You did one hell of a nice repair there. My hat is off to you sir...Rusty

froche
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200A)
2002 GL1800

Former bikes;
2000 R1100RT
2005 Suzuki Bandit
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
1990 Yamaha XV250
1980 Yamaha XV750
1979 Honda CB750
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120
1973 Honda CB450
1968 Harley Davidson Sportster
1974 Honda CB750
1968 Honda CL72

Post by froche »

I had some cracking in the "under fairing" area that is removable to get at carbs. First I cleaned it then I used ABS cement to weld it back together then I used fiberglass (or whatever it's made of) tape used for drywall and covered the seams of the welded crack, and repeated the ABS cement, several times. After drying for a couple of days trimmed any excess. Works fine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

stinvinn wrote:
IMG_20161109_195135.jpg
. OK so I bought the bike with 97,000 on the clock I have no idea how the crack happened I would just like to find the best way to repair...I am try,,fingers crossed to include a pic of the damage to my trunk the xs are the crack the circled area is a missing piece of ABS.has anyone made a repair similar to this.the trunk hasn't been removed yet .It was 68 degrees here in ND today so I'm still rideing.i have heard of using fiberglass mesh and ABS glue .has anyone done this...I'm just trying to compile info right now and once she's put up for the winter .tackle this project thanks
It looks like someone has already tried to fix this with J-B Weld or some kind of epoxy, and it has failed (as I mentioned it does, previously). You're going to have to scrape out all the remnants of the epoxy before attempting a fix.

For this repair I would make up some ABS slurry (ABS shavings and ABS glue or MEK) until you get a gooey mix that you can pack in there. Coat the broken area with ABS glue, pack in the ABS slurry, and let it cure. It will harden into a thick, solid piece of ABS that will be stronger than the original piece.

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

wingadmin no it has not had any reairs done there is tape on the outside.what is this mek that is mentioned and does anyone have any suggestions on how to grind up PVC pipe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

stinvinn wrote:wingadmin no it has not had any reairs done there is tape on the outside.what is this mek that is mentioned and does anyone have any suggestions on how to grind up PVC pipe
MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone - it's a solvent that you can find at your local hardware store in the paint section.

Personally I cut the pipe lengthwise, put it in the oven for a few minutes to soften it, then spread it out flat. I then take a drill with a large (like 1/2") drill bit and drill a whole bunch of holes in the (now flat) ABS pipe. This creates a whole bunch of very thin shavings of ABS plastic that melt very quickly into slurry once introduced to MEK and/or ABS glue.

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

Not PVC, will not work. You need black ABS pipe fitting or pipe. I bought the ABS 1/8" sheet from Amazon that is linked above. Cut it into small slivers with tin snips then mixed. I'll bet an auto body rasp would work well on a piece of ABS pipe.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Rusty Bike wrote:Not PVC, will not work. You need black ABS pipe fitting or pipe. I bought the ABS 1/8" sheet from Amazon that is linked above. Cut it into small slivers with tin snips then mixed. I'll bet an auto body rasp would work well on a piece of ABS pipe.
Good catch, I didn't see that - yes, the pipe must be ABS, not PVC.

I also thought of using a rasp, but found the soft ABS clogged it up too quickly.

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

I decided to get this project started I drilled ABS pipe to get the shavings.sanded the damaged area with a dremell mixed u shavings and Mek. While it was dissolving I brushed the damaged area with the Mek several times while stirring into a slurry type mix.i used painters mask on the backside of holes then poured mix in holes and spread over cracks..it seems like it burnt in pretty good.seems like a fairly solid repair but the road will tell RIDE SAFE MY FRIEND'S

Was pretty bad
Was pretty bad

Attachments

Finshed patch
Finshed patch

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

Finished patch
Finished patch

Backside holes filled nicely
Backside holes filled nicely

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Looks like a good repair, that should be plenty strong once it's cured.