Clutch slippage

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Clutch slippage

Post by coolrogue1 »

New Goldwing owner. 1985 GL1200i

I just purchased the bike and when I test rode it everything was great. (The temperature was in the 60's so I never got the bike up to "operating" temperature) Now after getting it home I rode it today for the first time "on the road", once the engine reached "operating" temperature the clutch started slipping. I watched the tach and the RPM would just start increasing while "going" down the road. I checked the clutch fluid level and it was good...Any ideas for what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Sam

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Clutch slippage

Post by ekvh »

These need oil with no friction modifiers. If PO put regular autopilot in, it will slip. Sounds like it could be worse, but that's a start. Most use Rotella 15-40 or Delo15-40. They also make motorcycle specific oils.

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 »

I am doing an oil change and a clutch fluid change and bleeding, I saw a similar post on the forum which gave me a few other things to check...
Sam

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Another somewhat common occurrence is oil contaminated by gasoline. A leaky carb (float valve usually) can slowly leak gas when sitting. It eventually gets past the rings and dilutes the oil. If the oil level was too high, I'd suspect that. I bentca rod from hydrolocking from this last summer. If it's leaking, it needs attention.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue »

Make sure that the return port in the clutch master cylinder is clear, as the engine fully warms any air/contaminates in the hydraulic line expands and slips the clutch. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

coolrogue1

Post by coolrogue1 »

Yes I saw that on another thread. It was clogged I cleaned it out and bled the line. I also am "rebuilding" the master cylinder

Sam