Fork Parts

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Fork Parts

Post by wiretician »

Have a question to all out there. Am in midst of trying to get 1200 back on road, keep finding things that are delaying that process. Got the wing in May of 2008. In the fall, wife and I went for a ride, got a drip up on my visor, stopped at next gas station to find that one of the forks were leaking, attributed this to age (87 model). Went home, next day or two rear tire went flat, aired up and soaped it down to find that the tire was so dry rotted the air was coming out the side walls. Decided not to tackle the forks, instead to take it to the nearest Honda dealer for professional fork rebuild and new set of tires. Of course you would think this would be the best course of action. However, they changed the tires (dry rotted), but DIDN'T change the valve stems, had the rear suddenly deflate on me, fortunately as I got home from work. In addition, found out that the Dunlap D404's they put on weren't rated for as heavy a bike as mine. Now the question, with this level of incompetence on the tires, should my forks be leaking oil again? A mere 7 years after the so called professional repair. Mind you when I got the 1500 two years ago, the 1200 got parked and ridden only every so often, and not at all for the last 7-9 months when the wife's antique furniture started pushing the bike back in the garage. Had many motorcycles, this is the only one that has had fork problems. When I carried it up to Honda place, I had not found this wonderful forum and wealth of knowledge, and will be attempting the repair myself. Which brings up the next question. Can find dust and oil seals, and only the guide bushing. However, it seems that I can find all the parts needed to rebuild the 1500 forks. And oddly enough 3 out of 4 of the parts are the same number for both the 1200 and the 1500. So, is the kit for the 1500(in it's entirety) going to work on the 1200 forks?

Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Re: Fork Parts

Post by Rusty Bike »

Dust boot on top, fork seal and slider bushings, what else is there besides springs?
You may be able to stop the leak by cleaning the seal lip. Slide the boot up and use a thin tool to slip between the seal lip and the fork tube. Now slide this tool all the way around the fork tube a couple of times. This will wipe away any dirt that is between fork and seal lip. Some folks use a thin feeler gauge that will take on the fork radius. Better yet cut a piece of plastic milk jug or similar thin plastic about 1 1/2- 2" wide and put a slight hook on one end, kinda like an open "J". Stick the J down between fork and seal while forming the plastic around the fork radius and go around the fork a couple of times. Use a leading angle, you want to pull any dirt up and out of the seal lip thus stopping the leak. There is a tool sold on the web for this job which is very much like I just described. Too bad about the crappy stealership, all too common these days! Good luck...Rusty

wiretician

Post by wiretician »

There are 4 parts: dust seal, oil seal, guide bushing, and slide bushing. Looked through both parts manuals, the original numbers were different. But now, three of the part numbers for the 1200 parts match the 1500 parts, in fact the 1200 part numbers on the cheaper cycle parts site have change to 1500 numbers, with the exception to the slider bushing. Or hasn't the slider obsolete number change hasn't happened yet and the bushings are identical?
Well, thanks for your input, I'm on night rotation at work till Friday morning, will give your suggestion a try this weekend. Hopefully this will correct it; however, it won't be too difficult to go on to removing the forks, as I have to pull the wheels and get new tires. That would be the time for the fork rebuild.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue »

The parts you need should still be available from mother Honda, a couple months ago I ordered a complete set to rebuild the forks on my 86 Interstate. Still haven't installed them yet. If you just can't find them maybe we can make a deal...... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

wiretician

Post by wiretician »

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. Will try the suggestion that Rusty Bike made this weekend. Did a bit of search and found the tool he mentioned and a few videos on how to use it (gotta love the videos and forums). After watching the video, it made me wonder if that re-seating the seal is the end part of a rebuild. And if that wonderful dealership service department performed it. I'll try it and get back to you.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Oh yes, I looked at the fich. Slider bushing and guide bushing. I did replace both when
I did mine. Sorry, my bad. Another thing I did was drill and tap the top fork caps to accept 3/8" NPT allen type pipe plugs. This way I can change fork oil without removing the caps and releasing the springs. PITA! I used Teflon pipe tape when installing plugs to avoid any leaks of fluid or air. I used plated plugs but there are SS plugs out there and also trim buttons to go in the allen hole if your worried about appearance. Just an idea if you take your forks apart. Ride safe...Rusty

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Rusty Bike wrote:Oh yes, I looked at the fich. Slider bushing and guide bushing. I did replace both when
I did mine. Sorry, my bad. Another thing I did was drill and tap the top fork caps to accept 3/8" NPT allen type pipe plugs. This way I can change fork oil without removing the caps and releasing the springs. PITA! I used Teflon pipe tape when installing plugs to avoid any leaks of fluid or air. I used plated plugs but there are SS plugs out there and also trim buttons to go in the allen hole if your worried about appearance. Just an idea if you take your forks apart. Ride safe...Rusty
Got a picture of your fork mod? Sounds like a plan.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

:D

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Excellent idea, will keep this in my picture folder for the next oil change.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest