what tires are best

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
bjfahey
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate

what tires are best

Post by bjfahey »

looking to replace front tire on a 1200 1986 interstate

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: what tires are best

Post by RoadRogue »

Everybody has their own favorite tire. Depends on your riding style and your budget. Longer mileage tire that are popular are the Dunlop E3 , Avon Venom or Cobra, both good tires and I have used both. I prefer the Avon though.nice neutral handling, good grip wet or dry and very quiet on the road with long life. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

I Like the Dunlop E3 for two reasons :
a) It has a fairly long life, runs quiet on my Wing , good grip on everything except steel deck bridges,handles well in rain .... etc

b) my local motorcycle tire dealer " likes " me for some reason, and always gives me a whopping discount .

and for any quality tire... 5% off is meaningless, but 40% is worth bargaining for .

But as RR said ... its a personal opinion ... almost like " Best Oil "

Wanna start a spirited discussion at most motorcycle club meetings ? Just tell everyone your favourite tire !!

LOL

SilverDave

stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

Post by stinvinn »

myself i went the buget route and so far , one season they are doing very well traction handleing i went with KENDA they have a high milage rateing and seem like a decent tire i paid under two hundred for both tires

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue »

What ever tire you choose in the end make sure it is rated for the weight of your Wing fully loaded. Not all tires that fit are strong enough for the weight. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

I put on Michelin commander 11 front and rear . happy with the tires they wear well handle well but they do make a humming sound while cornering or just a side wind only maybe 7000 MILES on them . they also handle very nice in the rain .

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

geraldm wrote:I put on Michelin commander 11 front and rear . happy with the tires they wear well handle well but they do make a humming sound while cornering or just a side wind only 7000 MILES so far . they also handle very nice in the rain .

ksigurdsen
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by ksigurdsen »

I put a new pair of tires on my 84 Aspencade earlier this month and decided to give Continental Milestones a try. They are a little less in price than the Michelin's. The reviews online were good. I've made one round trip on the Florida Turnpike with them and they were quite. The tread pattern is different from anything I've owned in the past.

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

I've tried several tires, Metzlers (great handling, better than average longevity), Dunlap E3's (great handling, above average mileage). But whatever you get be sure that it is rated for the weight and load of your bike. Had a dealership to put tires on my 1200, that weren't rated for that heavy a bike (actually for a much lighter cruiser). You would think you could trust a dealership. Buddy of mine put me on to this Mom 'n Pop motorcycle tire shop (turns out that is all they do). They were really knowledgable and very helpful, and oddly enough were extremely reasonable on price. Hope that is helpful.

Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.