dog bone fuse

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

dog bone fuse

Post by stinvinn »

i think the SEI is put up for the winter.... so i was going to replace the dog bone fuse with an inline blade type and i noticed another dog bone fuse on the starter solonoid question is has anyone replaced these with a new solonoid with the bladefuse?? ive seen a few differant ones on line................ i would hate to get stranded bcause of a bad fuse

stinvinn

Re: dog bone fuse

Post by stinvinn »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381852316778 i am going the replaceit with this

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

You could carry spare dog bones or just wire in a inline fuse holder across the terminals and use whatever you like.

Stranded is not the only option.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Replaced mine with a similar unit. If you want to use the wire harness connector you will have to modify it a bit to fit around the blade fuse. There are connectors available for this new design, not expensive from what I recall.

Unless it says made in the USA, we don't make much here north of the border, it is probably made in Asia and will work just fine.

You do have another dog bone fuse link going from the solenoid to the main relay. You may want to change it to a blade type as well - it is 30 amps as well.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

stinvinn

Post by stinvinn »

OK so I started this project went to remove battery and the pos cable just crumbled fell apart. Glad it didn't happen on the road..dose anyone know where I could find a cable I've checked eBay but didn't find anything it would probably be a real pain to make a new one

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

A good auto parts will have battery cable on a real and connectors. I did the main ground also and jumped it up 2 sizes. Crimped the connectors myself as I have the tool. An electrical supply house will have crimp connectors also rated for the wire and amperage. I soldered the crimps with a propane torch also. Clean well then use rosin type flux.

Buy water tite blade fuse holders 30A or more then use ring staycons on the solenoid. I spliced the fuse holder behind the solenoid with stay-cons, apply dielectric grease before crimping, use this stuff on fuses and holders also. Retape all any wire harness you disturb as OEM did. Orient fuse holders so they shed water.

You have to get creative on these old bikes.

Might want to look at other cables, connectors and grounds. :o

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

A wee nasty surprise, but the bike is some 33 years old.

Another good source is a marine supply. Marine grade wire is more pliable than auto grade wire and you may be able to get them to duplicate the old wiring. Marine grade wire is tinned throughout and this eliminates any possibility of corrosion down the road so to speak.

Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

Yea I replaced with the same , actually bought 2 replaced the original and one in the bag for the road , have never needed it so far but its small and easy to stash in a pouch somewhere . The only thing i noticed was unless you get the plug made for the solenoid and just use female push on ends they do tend to get very close together .. I used shrink tube right down to the base of each female plug just to keep the little guys from touching . A fuse is a fuse so long as you have the proper rating you should be good .

Saintjude33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

Post by Saintjude33 »

I picked up one of those integrated solenoids as well. I got it from Caltric, and it came with loose wires, but when I asked them for tech support on how the plug on the bike compares to the mating solenoid connectors all I got was silence. I heard they were ok, but after I got an A/M stator and R/R and that failed in 2k miles, I think I'll be re-sourcing my parts from now on.

So my question is- can I just mount the new solenoid in where the old one was and do a little plastic trimming and pop the old wire connector on to the new solenoid with the same orientation?

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

You can mount the new solenoid in the same place as the old one. You should be able to trim the connector plug, or just cut off the plug and use solderless connectors and reconnect the wiring. Here is a picture of the wire layout:

The green/red striped wire goes out to the clutch diode and the clutch lever switch. There are connector plugs for sale on line that are inexpensive if you want to get on that fits.

The red and red/white striped wires are live at all times. The yellow/red stripe and green/red stripe wires energize the coil inside the starter solenoid that allows power to go to the starter.

Cheers

Ernest