Custom Wing need some engine advice...

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
scottca
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200A Aspencade; 2000 Buell X1 Lightening

Custom Wing need some engine advice...

Post by scottca »

Hey Guys,

So long story short, I just completed a year long chop/custom of my 85' aspencade. I'll attach some pictures as its just easier. I've got a new wire harness, which I built from scratch, as well as a new intake filter set up and exhaust. She looks amazing, but... I finally put gas in the tank( widened 64' honda Dream tank) and hit the starter button and, like a dream she fired right up. A little bit of white smoke, not much and it went right away. I let her warm up at idel and put her to bed for the night as it was past my bedtime. Next day I push her out, thinking I'll do a quick ride around the block before playing with the carb set up. She fired right up no choke, just a little help on the throttle. Warmed her up again for a few mins, then as I went to pull out of the drive way she died as soon as I gave it gas. Started her back up, this time needed a bit more throttle, and noticed that I'm getting white smoke that quickly turns to black smoke. As luck would have it I've got a big puddle at the end of the driveway and noticed that it is beginning to get that fun techno colored oil film on top of it. I gave it a good brap! on the throttle and not only did it stall but it also coughed like it had been mining coal its whole life.

Now, I should say it has about 54k on the motor. It was running perfect when I put her to bed a little more than a year ago. No oil consumption, no coolant going missing. Started and ran like a dream.
So I check the plugs and they are, wow, they are black like death. Cylinder 3 and 2 are a bit wet/oily, while 1 & 4 are dry and just soot covered. I ran them under a wire wheel to clean them up and tried it all again, same result. I've been scouring the internet all day since. As panic and fear of blown head gaskets or even worse, blown piston rings filled my head, I came upon the very hopeful idea that maybe just maybe its valve guide seals?...

My ask is this, what do you guys think? Head gasket, piston rings, valve seals? What should I test first? Should I just pull the motor again and tear it down? No I haven't done a pressure test, don't have the tool. Need one now it seems. Advice from any guru's out there? know this motor like the back of your hand? I'm in northern CA...help a brother out?
Attachments

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Custom Wing need some engine advice...

Post by Maz »

Firstly...wow! That is a serious bunch of modifications!
Secondly, my guess is the bike is running very rich. The black smoke and sooty plugs would confirm this. It's very likely the carbs are flooding due to the float valves not closing. Possibly due to the carbs being left empty and the floats/float valves drying out. Possibly some dirt being sucked into the float valve seats. The 'techno colouring' on the puddle is likely unburnt fuel being blown out of the pipes. Be careful, as when the carbs flood, they dump a load of fuel into the cylinders which will not compress when the motor spins over. The result CAN be a bent piston rod (conrod).
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

One good thing,

Definitely no need to take off any plastic to get to work on the bike. Everything should be right in front of you. :D

How much weight did you drop/chop off any idea?

I quite like it - hope the seat is more comfortable than it looks. :)

Cheers

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Agree with Maz. You've got carb problems. Also the reason it starts without choke.

scottca

Post by scottca »

Maz wrote:Firstly...wow! That is a serious bunch of modifications!
Secondly, my guess is the bike is running very rich. The black smoke and sooty plugs would confirm this. It's very likely the carbs are flooding due to the float valves not closing. Possibly due to the carbs being left empty and the floats/float valves drying out. Possibly some dirt being sucked into the float valve seats. The 'techno colouring' on the puddle is likely unburnt fuel being blown out of the pipes. Be careful, as when the carbs flood, they dump a load of fuel into the cylinders which will not compress when the motor spins over. The result CAN be a bent piston rod (conrod).
Maz
Maz, thanks for the response. I guess I didn't think it could be that simple. So pull the carbs and just rebuild them? I've been eyeing Randakk(sp?) master carb kit and manual. Dude seems to know his way around these fuel systems. This is much easier to do for sure. And yes, there is now quite easy access to the motor.

Aussie, best guess so far is about half the weight. The balance is amazing. Even with a full tank of gas. I set it down on the engine guard and had a Buddies wife pick it back up, she weighs about 100lbs, tiny girl. She popped it back up no problem. So I'm thinking it's somewhere around 400lbs. Can't beat that low center of gravity. The seat is everyone's first complaint, until you sit on it. I'm a tall guy, 6'-6", buddy is about 5'-7", we both fit on it perfectly. It's small but it's a nice little bucket. It's deceiving with the tail being so long, makes the seat look tiny.
Attachments

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Yep, carbs. Man is that thing COOL. Really sweet job, thanks for showing us. Congratulations. I'd need some kind of fenders though, I hate a wet ass. :lol:

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams »

Poor damn things gone into shock, losing all that weight. :o

scottca

Post by scottca »

twocams wrote:Poor damn things gone into shock, losing all that weight. :o

Haha, I had the same bike you do! Loved tht two tone brown/tan. I've got the full body kit, bags, trunk, front nose assembly etc, if your interested. I even have the original travel bags that came with it. Everything is in great shape, just couldn't fit on the bike with my wife, we're both really tall. Let me know if you're looking for any parts!

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

Rusty Bike wrote:Yep, carbs. Man is that thing COOL. Really sweet job, thanks for showing us. Congratulations. I'd need some kind of fenders though, I hate a wet ass. :lol:
If he falls into that wheel there will be a lot more than a wet ass

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams »

Thanks Scottca,
Im getting out of the Wing business..... again. They are just to heavy for the old man anymore. I bought another BMW, 92 R100RT.
fairing, saddle bags, carbs (2) 1000 cc. But only weighs 500 lbs. Surprising how much a difference 200 lbs makes. Four bikes now so selling the wing and one of my BMW Ive had for 14 yrs.

twocams

scottca

Post by scottca »

geraldm wrote:
Rusty Bike wrote:Yep, carbs. Man is that thing COOL. Really sweet job, thanks for showing us. Congratulations. I'd need some kind of fenders though, I hate a wet ass. :lol:
If he falls into that wheel there will be a lot more than a wet ass
Haha, well between you, my wife and my father I've begun to fabricate a new rear fender. I didn't think it would be a problem, the stance and seat are very snug but at this point it'll be easier to just put one on than to listen to everyone warn me about the what ifs.

Thanks again guys for the kind words and the advice. Carb rebuild kit ordered and I'm pulling them tonight. With any luck I'll rebuild them over the weekend and we'all be running next week.

Cheers

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Maybe cut down the plastic front fender, less unsprung weight. 8-)