Radio and cb

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
dbduely
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1985 GL1200LTD

Radio and cb

Post by dbduely »

Can't get any sound from radio or CB. I can pickup station with the stereo icon being on but not a sound. I can turn the squelch all the way ether way no static. Have checked every connection l don't know how many times cleaned tiend them. I'm thinking of sending the radio out but haste because no sound from the CB ether. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks dbduely.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Radio and cb

Post by CrystalPistol »

I don't have a factory CB, but I have had a similar issue on my '85 Aspencade with the radio, it was a loose or "fractured" solder joint in the Auto Vol unit. I found it by pulling the left pocket and locating the in and out cables from the auto vol unit and unplgging the auto vol unit and connecting the two ends ..... thus bypassing the auto vol unit.

Sierra Electronics fixed my auto vol unit and had it back in a little over a week. In the meantime, the radio worked, just did not increase volume in speaker mode when increasing speed.

My CB is an aftermarket CB that integrates with the intercom by using a home built "integrator". The CB out through ext speaker plug leads into mic circuit thus we hear it through intercom as if a third passenger. When hitting PTT button, a 4PDT gang relay switches several circuits putting mic of intercom out CB air waves.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

stinvinn
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade SE-I

Post by stinvinn »

Can't get any sound from radio or CB. I can pickup station with the stereo icon being on but not a sound. I can turn the squelch all the way ether way no static. Have checked every connection l don't know how many times cleaned tiend them. I'm thinking of sending the radio out but haste because no sound from the CB ether. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks dbduely.
just a thought..... but is the on off volume button pushed in so the sound should be going thru the headsets

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

stinvinn wrote:just a thought..... but is the on off volume button pushed in so the sound should be going thru the headsets

Good point
..... sometimes it is just "so simple". :lol:

No mention of names but I have seen a fellow might near run a battery dead trying to start his 1200 .... only to discover his kill switch was in one of two "Kill" positions. His 1500 won't even turn over in "Kill" position. Also seen his 1200's fuel petcock slow up a fresh start. :oops:
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

dbduely
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by dbduely »

I've pushed all the buttons I don't know how many times. I've bypassed the trip computer I will be bypassing the amp in the next few days. I did hit the kill switch by accident one time as I pulled up to the gas pump as it would happen I was running on fumes and I thought just made it. Filled her up needless to say she wouldn't start back up. Thankfully I got my head out of you know where before I ran down the battery. Thanks for the in put dbduely

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler »

You say you have checked every connection, does that include taking the fairing off and pulling the radio wiring harness out of the bike and inspecting every connection from the harness into the radio plug.
I did mine a few winters ago and found some chafed wires as well as a few wires going into the radio plug that needed a bit of help. Repaired all, now everything works great, including the auto volume. Also got my clock to work.
While you're at it, pull out the main harness, inspect wires for chafing, check all connectors, put new dielectric grease on all connectors. Also got 28 years of dried bugs out of the fairing cavities.
Of course you may still have a radio issue, but you just removed part of the equation.

dbduely
1985 GL1200LTD

Post by dbduely »

I have checked the wireing harness did find out a pack rat had been in there made themselves a little nast and snacked on some of the wireing. :cry: Got that all repaired still no luck thanks thought. Dbduely