switch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Tommy Coogan
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200aspencade

switch

Post by Tommy Coogan »

Hi
Can anyone help me I am trying to get a right handle bar switch assembly [e start/stop and head light all the lights work except head light beam low/high, but if you hold down the pass/flash the headlight comes on

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: switch

Post by geraldm »

Well tommy coogan . Me thinks the reason you haven't had a reply yet is because of your sketchy explanation of your problem ,, If you want help , I suggest you start with the model and year of your bike and take some time and a few more words explaining your problem , the left and right of your bike are you sitting on it . have a good one and good luck .

Tommy Coogan
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200aspencade

Post by Tommy Coogan »

I have a 1987 GL 1200 Aspencade and I am having trouble with my headlight, all other lights are fine but no main beam, the headlight pass switch works when I press it, but will not work on full beam The switches have been cleaned, and there is power going to the switches. but none at the headlight untill you press the headlight pass switch
I am thinking it is the right side starter/light switch assembly.

Anyone got any idea's could you the help

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

I dont know on the 1200, but most motorcycles have a relay to operate the headlight, so if it's not operating it could be the switch, but could also be the relay or wiring between the headlight and the battery. Would need to see a schematic for your bike. If you have one, check to see if there are relays driving the headlights, then if there are check that the relays are operating and that the switch gear is making the relays operate correctly. as you say the flash button works, it could be your switch gear or a broken wire in the switch gear housing. without a schematic I am not much help, but I would definitely check for relays before trying to buy another switch gear, it will probably be as old and as worn as yours.

Gary

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Post by kwild »

Spray some electrical cleaner directly into the "start button". Key off, press the button a number a times while using the cleaner. Give it a few minutes and start it up, this will usually cure the headlight problem. good luck.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Tommy Coogan wrote:I have a 1987 GL 1200 Aspencade and I am having trouble with my headlight, all other lights are fine but no main beam, the headlight pass switch works when I press it, but will not work on full beam The switches have been cleaned, and there is power going to the switches. but none at the headlight untill you press the headlight pass switch
I am thinking it is the right side starter/light switch assembly.

Anyone got any idea's could you the help
Any luck?????????????????

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike