Unexpected Oil Drain.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
DanPartridge
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing GL1200 Interstate Bobber

Unexpected Oil Drain.

Post by DanPartridge »

Hello folks! I have had a recent odd happening with my Wing. The starter decided to crap out, it was an aftermarket one, and I usually store the bike on the side stand, center when I am checking or changing oil. After I removed the starter I came out to the garage after a time and found my oil had ALL drained out onto the garage floor. When I consulted the mechanic and told him the same thing, he as asked if I stored it on the side or center stand after I pulled the starter. Said the side. He says that's why it drained out. When I did this before, I stored it on its center stand, no starter, and no oil drained out. I wanted to know, if you please, if you can confirm what the mechanic told me was true, that the oil drained out of the starter hole because I stored in on the side stand and not because I may have accidentally broke or moved a seal. I didn't see any seals in the starter hole, only a chain guide, chain and starter drive gear. Rubber O ring on the starter though. Hope I am making sense.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Unexpected Oil Drain.

Post by CrystalPistol »

How much came out anyway?

Stands to reason that any that failed to drain back into sump would get trapped over on that side inside the rear cover by being left parked on the side stand from shut down.

None came out of mine when I had the starter out years ago with bike leaned over to right .... but then mine stays on the center stand when parked for more than a few minutes.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

ALL the oil? That's about a gallon! I don't know how the oil gets into the starter clutch but that seems weird to me. :shock:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I can't believe all the oil came out .... most of it is in the transmission / sump well below the starter. If the bike is shut off after being set over on the side stand, maybe some gets trapped there on that side near the starter gear hole.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)