Paint job for the gl1200a .

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Paint job for the gl1200a .

Post by geraldm »

Since I don't have much maintenance to do this winter I thought maybe a good year to do a custom paint job on the old boy .my buddy down the street owns a body shop , and owes me a couple favors , was hoping maybe some of you guys that have had a custom paint job done would take a little time and post a few pictures here , maybe it will help me decide colors and such . i cant tell with a little paint chip if it would look good or not . Paint is actually not bad I just want to do it , make it my own , maybe a little pearl . ghost painting maybe , he is quite good , but is one of those guys that ya almost need to just let him go to it , very creative , and all I need to do is pay for the materials .. so here's a chance to show off your stuff
thanks for your time . healthy holidays

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Paint job for the gl1200a .

Post by julimike54 »

Sorry no clue, mines original paint......but watching
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

I think both julimike54 and I agree that a two tone blue is the fastest colour .
LOL
and two tone powder blue with some professional stripe line painting looks just awesome !!

SilverDave

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Decided to go with the new sunset metallic , a few webs around the corners some gold pearl here and there and a few hidden graphics that will flash on the way by . the paint depending on weather the sun is shining or not will go from a darkish red to almost orange to near black . a lot of sanding to do . the paint is actually not bad . the three metal pieces are in very nice condition no dents , got everything off except the front cowling and its staying right where it is . buddy says he can do just as good on the bike so it stays . looks like 2 trips with the wheel barrow , to get all the parts down to the paint shop . I will take some pic as things progress just so people can see the change between oem and custom work . . not that I dont like the oem colors . I just want something different . later

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

just a big pile of stuff now . wont be long things will come together . the worst part is , po decided to put that phony plastic chrome trim sround saddle bag lids on front fender , air vents on sides of cowling , what ever he used , it never get hard and is just a sticky mess , hoping that some goop remover or some such will do the job . someone had a dream I guess . get all the chrome accessories , clips , locks , emblems off . does anyone know a good place to buy the front fender emblem and the 2 big Honda emblems on side of cowling . kinda scruffy looking . have a good and healthy year :mrgreen:

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Just taking things kinda slow . 2 prime coats , sand between . base will be 3 coats with the last base coat there will be a generous amount gold pearl and then probably 3 coats of clear . last prime coat is done just needs another sanding then the base will start

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I'm excited and it ain't even my 1200! :D
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

A lot of work ( hardest paint I have ever seen ) . and buddy is fussy . I thought 3 base coats but was informed today 4 maybe 5 till he get the effect he wants . and thats fine with me . he wants to end up with three different colors under different lighting conditions . Im anxious to see what the gold pearl does to it , very few emblems go back on . none on the front fender . dont think any on the fairing not sure yet . me thinks maybe a couple of wing sets on the side covers . I ordered 2 different wing set packs . surprised when they came they were actually metal instead of plastic . If I have to put Honda emblems all over it so people know what it is ,,,, well thats a sad day isn't it ?

Poor pictures but the best I have right now . wont say where they came from been there done that . 8-) the GW is a cream color with a red back ground , and says EST. ....1975 .... thats it nothing else . yea its coming along , usually dont get to excited about things but in all honesty Goldie will have a showroom job . thanks

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

priming and sanding all done now its to the spray booth to do the base coats ,

now this is just the 5 base coats . havent decided what else to do yet , something will be added with the clear coats . once I picked the color Chris was happy just to carry on and be creative , so it might be a surprise to me also . so far the budget is low . He saved a little paint in the can , I asked him if he wanted me to take it home , his reply was , no Gerald that stays here so when ya tip over I have some of the original color to work with , .. well at least hes not naive and thinkin nothing will ever happen to it . when the clear goes on the metallic paint will bring on a whole new look , making it look darker in different light sources , and almost orange in other conditions , My painters name is ,Chris Fisher , business is ,,, Vintage Metal ,,, he has many different jobs pictures and videos of different vintage cars he has done on utube . the pictures show various stages from 1 to 5 coats

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

After they came out of the spray booth we just sat them up so could get the other half of the parts in and done . got darker as the clear dried , changes color in different lighting anywhere from black cherry to almost orange , looks just like the older couples suv looked like in the parking lot that I was looking at . happy with the job , have a couple after market metal emblems , but not going to load it back up with Honda stuff . . leave it sit for a few days then start putting it back together , maybe should torque the neck brgs. before I put everything back on .

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

just a bit of a update , stlll

have the front to finish and renew the windshield

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

Nice! It looks a lot more modern without the two tone paint.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Finally got the big boy finished,5coats of base,3coats of clear,. sunset red metallic, Camera does not pick up the ghosting on fuel door , front fender , rear of hard bags on each side and two small flames on either side of cowling , also bought chrome shark fins for cowling vents, .We used a five color pearl on the ghosting , hard to tell but in the sun it shows all. Big job doing the sanding without going through to the plastic. cowling had 5 coats of factory paint (( harder than the top of my head )) must not have passed inspection and kept getting sent back to get redone .??? I like the new look with no regrets. Were ready to roll..

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

That is a great looking bike! It's amazing what a new paint job can do for a bike. Brings everything back to life. Great job.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

yea i happy with the way it turned out , not an easy task. heres the name of my buddys shop very picky guy , he sent me back a number of times for more prep work.

8-)

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Looks great under the lights ...... waiting to see some pics under the sun now!!!! :)
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Yes me to but we have - 18 today so it will be a bit before it gets to sun tan. I did take some parts out in the sun and then the metal flake and pearl really comes alive . Soon as possible I will post more pics outside

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady »

Looks great. Is there gold in the paint by chance, as it looks like there's a gold tint in some of the pics.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

yup you got a good eye, 4 different colors of flake in the red sunset metallic, gold , green , blue , red , then there is 4 or 5 different colors in the pearl . Its actually a 2016 ford color on many of there smaller suv type vehicles, and some full size half tons. in the sunlight it will show anywhere from dark almost blood red to a orange tint depending on how the sun hits the paint . drove around Saskatoon for a couple hours looking at different color vehicles . pulled into Home depot and there it was caught my eye halfway across the parking lot , so just waited for the owner , when they finally showed up i asked the guy what color , his reply was dammed if i know its red , then his wife chimed in with the name . so it was obvious who picked the color . In the sunshine the paint really comes alive , the ghosting also shows up as one might walk by it on the side walk etc. the front aluminum trim just under windshield is done with a grey hammered finished paint from a spray can with catalist added to make it set up hard. It also has very tiny metal flake which i did not realize until after first coat. Very happy with the way it all turned out , making everything worth the time and effort . have a good one Gerald m.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

Nice Job on the bike. It looks real purrty ;) It is amazing what new paint does for anything lol.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Wow what a color! Looking forward to sunshine pics....................... :D
Mike

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Just took him home a few days back . First nice bright day I will get a couple good pics for ya , a few other guys waiting also

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Here's a sunshine picture from a couple weeks back :D

Now it's raining :(
Mike

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

I see you have the same fold down foot pads any chance you could get a good pic of the mounts . My right one likes to move a tad if I put to much weight on it . Makes for tired legs after a few hundred km.

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Sorry for the delay, have had stuff that I had to take care of. I've attached the instructions for the boards, I think it'll provide more detail. One thing missing was that mine had a dowel to secure the boards also, near the allen bolt for the boards, no way to take a picture of the dowel. I have one that has been moveable (slight rotation) for years. I guess one day I ought to take it apart & tighten something :lol:

If you still need a picture let me know what you'd like to see & I'll try to get it posted in a more timely fashion ;)

Mike