brake lights without a trunk

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
galwegan
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Interstate

brake lights without a trunk

Post by galwegan »

hi all,
newbie here.. lurked for a wee bit, then i signed up.. recently bought a 86 interstate .. has bags but no trunk, has brake / tail and turn lights in the bags but .. i want to remove the license plate mount / tag light and replace it with a brake / tail light assembly from a gold wing standard or some other honda bike.. so i'll have a more visible and traditional brake /tail light on the back.. i intend to leave the brake tail turn lights in the bags too.

so, im asking, can this be reasonably done ? any suggestions , help or other advice ??
thanks, dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: brake lights without a trunk

Post by WingAdmin »

You might be able to use a GL1100 brake/taillight/license plate light, if you can figure a way to get it to fit (custom bracketry):

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

thanks for the reply ..
i was thinking i could just buy a brake tail light assembly from a gl1100 standard or other honda bike ..
use the existing holes in the fender from where the license plate tag light is / was mounted .. or ???
i dunno but i cant believe that im the only guy ( dumb azz ) to want to do this .. lol ..
and wire it up at the bag lights connection under the seat ..
am i nuts ?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Or just visit a truck stop lighting aisle and find some nice looking lights to mount under the rear rack where the travel trunk used to be. There's also LEDs.com and etc on line that have all sorts of nice looking lights.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

thats a good idea, i didnt think of that .. there is even a flange there, between the helmet locks that has holes in it..
i could mount a light there .. possibly even a cycle light ..
you just took this project in a new direction lol ... :D

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Nope, your not alone. More light back there is needed IMO. I was going to do the exact same thing. I don't like the trunk due to handling, appearance and get on an off the bike issues. My plan was to use the OEM license plate chrome bracket, disconnect the internal light, mount a SS bracket with two ears for turn signals, right where the license plate is now. Make the SS bracket wide enough to mount an OEM Honda tail light between the ears and long enough for the license plate. I think if well executed, this would look pretty good and most folks would think it is a stock setup.
Since then, I have found a different solution to the trunk delema, I bought a Valkyrie Std!! Now I am looking for a way to increase rear visibility on that bike...

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

i had thought i could just remove the plate holder and light mount thingy.. and bolt on a factory brake tail light, from say a gl1100 standard ( still think i could actually ) but then CRYSTALPISTOL gave me the idea of mounting an after market brake tail light to the trunk stay.. and
there is even a flat metal bracket there that i could mount too ..
so now im sorta going that way, looking for the right light setup / bracket to get it done
i mocked up in photoshop my idea ..
Attachments

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

i found a LED light, at walmart of all places.. fits perfectly between the helmet locks.. will post a pic when i get it all mounted and wired up..
cost of $7 and change.. dot approved, 100,000 hrs , waterproof , 5 inches long ... its a blazer brand product, for anyone else that might be interested .. its part number c12531r

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

You could wire two side by side for that .... or use a dual purpose light for running and brake light use. Below is a place I have ordered from and always gotten fast service at good prices. Look at truck, trailer, MC, etc lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led ... -for-cars/

… & Have a Safe Trip!

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

thanks for the link.

you know of any replacement for the reflector portion that sits between the saddle bags ? id like to put more lights in that spot too ..

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

There used to be a replacement that included a light that fit either the center rear reflector or the saddle bag side reflectors, but they require a hole into the saddle bag as I recall if used there on the sides. I have the one at rear center in place on my GL1200. It has two wing nuts that attach it from behind. I paid a lot less for mine 20 years ago than they want now though .... a lot less. It is an AddOn # 673-823.
https://www.shinywing.com/gl1200-saddle ... light.html
Here is one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-ON-673-823- ... 1709834180

I made my own style of side lights from aluminum that don't require that hole for the bulb recess. The bases are aluminum with red reflective tape and the housings are 1/8" aluminum formed over a 2x2 piece of rectangle tube and cut on my bandsaw to angles and polished. Light bulbs inside ... cut lenses from old scrap lenses. Attached with SS screws. Red to rear, amber to front.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

galwegan

Post by galwegan »

those are some very nice lights ..
thanks for the link to the center light. i just may end up getting one myself.
i installed the brake LED light today and even in the daylight, its brighter than the stock brake lights..

here is what looks like
Attachments

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

That looks pretty good ..... it's bigger than I thought it was gonna be.

Good score there!

I think I paid about $20 and change back when I bought the center light. I seen one guy who put three on his, had to cut big square holes in saddle bags to clear lamp reflector part. Looked like a source of leaks to me.

You'll have to cut a hole in that center piece as well, but it comes with the template and is easily done. I used to have mine wired in with the two side lights but a couple few years ago rewired it in with a brake light, the side lights I made are on a separate switch.

… & Have a Safe Trip!