Choke cable

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

Choke cable

Post by fcanary »

When I bought my '86 Interstate the choke cable was broken right at the lever. I thought "no problem" to replace. Figured a quick job. Well, not so quick I guess, I started, then saw what I was into and figured, "next year". Ok, so here I am asking the experts, so when I do attack it I'll be better prepared. I took it apart from the top, enough so I could see where to where the end was attach to the carbs, yet couldn't see a way to get to it. Do I have to pull the carbs to get to it? Or do I have to attack it from the front by removing the radiator? I'm not afraid to do it, hell, I did the timing belts and brake pads, and they were a piece of cake. Just would like some advise from those in the know. Thanks

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Choke cable

Post by julimike54 »

Bump...................................
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

I was in the same situation, traced choke cable to behind radiator, didn't want to pull radiator. Had a problem with shift sensor switch, traced it out, have to pull the front transmission cover, so pull the radiator and drain oil. Decided to investigate changing timing belts since miles were 63k, and recommended is 70k, but to make it easier have to pull radiator. Okay, three things that require pulling radiator, so i pulled the radiator. Once the radiator is out of the way, you are right at the end of the cable. Mine had locked up, when I got to the end of the cable, I could move the choke arm with one finger, much to my relief just a cable replace and adjustment. Also (fortunately for me), while the transmission cover was off, discovered that the water pump had a failed bearing, which would have required pulling radiator and draining the oil. Sometimes it's good to be lucky. Hope that helps you
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

Post by fcanary »

Good to know, thanks