Want to "Bagger" my GL 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Coyote45
Motorcycle: 1984 GL Aspencade

Post by Coyote45 »

Looking to trim down my 84' Aspencade. Anyone having done this, please let me know of any issues you ran into.
Losing the trunk and such... wiring should be doable for tail lights etc. Are there any aftermarket goodies to make this easier ?
Going with copper metal flake and red metal flake accents. Using spray rhino liner to renew inner fairing panels etc.
Will post pics when nearing completion, thanks. Look forward to any and all advice.

Coyote45

Post by Coyote45 »

New to site,
Hoping to tap into the knowledge of those whom have learned well before me. 84'Aspencade... Want to a "Bagger" style as i dislike the huge trunk. Any advice and or input ise welcome. Thanks, Jeff

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Want to "Bagger" my GL 1200

Post by CrystalPistol »

Same thread I saw a few days ago .... has 38 views. I think most were looking to see what you had in mind ..... I did when I looked.

It sounds like you are just removing the travel trunk. You'll have left over brake / tail light leads that you can use to operate maybe some accessory lights of your liking to be placed under the luggage rack that will remain. There are quite a few who have done same either because the trunk got damaged or they just had no use of it. I've also seen owner made small sissy bars added to use a rack bag with of just to give an occasional co-rider a "back".
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

I wanted to do the same to mine for various reasons. CP is right. Just take the box off and use the wires for other lights.
See this post for lighting ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36026

Coyote45

Post by Coyote45 »

Good feedback guys, thanks.
One more question, want to lose the crossover and go without. Any advice as to what pipes work best this way ?

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

Why, you will lose resale value and more then likely, HP and Torque!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Coyote45 wrote:Good feedback guys, thanks.
One more question, want to lose the crossover and go without. Any advice as to what pipes work best this way ?
Remove it, measure the angle needed to point / locate mufflers, get a local shop to make a pair of adapter pipes, post pics here with all particulars, then install with mufflers of your choice.

There is a real chance that you'll find some rot at the spigots at the ends of your OEM header sets where the muffler / middle chamber attaches. If not rusted too bad, save the take offs ..... they are hard to come by in decent shape. There are some U-tube vides of 1200s with no mufflers and adapted mufflers.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Coyote45

Post by Coyote45 »

Pulled exhaust,
Rot right where you said it would be. Going to find a good muffler shop and see what can be done. If not, I'll go with aftermarket set-up from Mac. Brake/Tail light figuered out. Less trouble than I thought.
Local friend helping with paint. Copper metal flake... unique marbled style. Will post when I find an example of it.
Without cross over, how much torque/power will I lose ?

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

I don't know what HP or Tq changes will be with removal of crossover set up and using individual twin mufflers. I know there are plenty videos of sound however. That crossover is a means to let each side use the slack between pulses on the other side for flow and mixing helps mute sound a little. I've seen some really nice looking custom setups on hotrod 1200s ..... even 4-1-2 headers that eliminate the center stand.

My opinion only, I think short of dyno time and a lot of trial and error it's gonna be tough to beat OEM for performance. A 1200 in good tune using all 7,500 rpms will run with any 1500 or 1800 in a passing situation / etc. Just eliminating and tossing on a pair of muffs .... not such a sure thing ..... but you might get lucky.

On those rusty spigots on the OEM header pipes, I helped a friend swap on a good Ebay sourced set for his '85 a few years ago as his OEM rusted bad under that chamber and the mufflers each side. We saved his header pipes by welding in new spigots. Took a few trial fits to get angle just so, but we did it. Local muffler shop sized some heavier wall exhaust tube to fit using an expander. They can also make short angled sections that will go from header angle to straight back for mufflers, paint or use SS exh tube or wrap / cover in thin polished SS as desired.

Look forwards to reading results ..... with PICTURES!

:D

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Rusty Bike

Post by Rusty Bike »

I welded in new "spigots" on my 1200. I found that 1 1/4 inch rigid conduit was the PERFECT size. Cut off rusted spigots. Cut conduit nipples to similar length. Grind off the galvanizing on the nipples where you will weld. Remount the entire exhaust system with new gaskets at the spigot location with the new nipples installed. This is to align the parts properly. Now tack weld the new spigots in place. Remove the exhaust system and weld up the new spigots. Grind all welds flush and install. You must disconnect the battery on your bike before welding!! I cleaned up the entire exhaust system with a wire wheel then painted with stove black spray bombs to stop future rust. Takes time but noe that hard. Good luck...Rusty

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Good ideas on the conduit and alignment.
Rusty Bike wrote: You must disconnect the battery on your bike before welding!!
I once did some welding on my '85's center stand feet when I was reattaching them after shortening the stands legs ... and I widened them a little.

I had the battery disconnected too.

Trouble was battery was in place and you remember that battery vent tube .... yep, a spark ....
.... and "POP" went the battery top along one end where the vent tube attached.
I cleaned the mess fast with baking soda and water .... and bought a new battery.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

CrystalPistol wrote:Good ideas on the conduit and alignment.
Rusty Bike wrote: You must disconnect the battery on your bike before welding!!
I once did some welding on my '85's center stand feet when I was reattaching them after shortening the stands legs ... and I widened them a little.

I had the battery disconnected too.

Trouble was battery was in place and you remember that battery vent tube .... yep, a spark ....
.... and "POP" went the battery top along one end where the vent tube attached.
I cleaned the mess fast with baking soda and water .... and bought a new battery.
Yup. Hydrogen is explosive. You were lucky, it could have been much worse!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

WingAdmin wrote: Yup. Hydrogen is explosive. You were lucky, it could have been much worse!
No question on either count. I just forgot about that clearish nylon tube's purpose when I was tacking those feet back onto the shorter legs with bike on stand (to set angle). Just took a moment.

I've seen a car battery blow up on a guy hooking up jumper cables as he scraped his last connection with last cable end to "test for spark" (he said later as he was being attended to) .... he was really lucky he didn't loose his sight. Thought he knew to make last connection a ground away from the battery .... guess not.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Coyote45

Post by Coyote45 »

Selling trunk, and cross-over with header pipes. Replacing with Mac 2-1 set. 100.00 as is.