Typical starter clutch problem, non typical idea

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Typical starter clutch problem, non typical idea

Post by Rusty Bike »

Hi all, Does anyone know how the oil gets into the starter clutch? Mine is starting to stick/spin/ not crank engine. I have read the Sea Foam trick and have read how the clutch gunks/rusts up. Problem is, I want to sell this bike and it's winter here in NW PA so riding around a couple of hundred miles with Sea Foam in the sump, is not an option. I have Rotella T6 in the bike now. Supposedly, that oil should have cleaned the starter clutch up??? This may sound goofy, but I was thinking, drain the oil then overfill engine with ATF, maybe 2 gallons. Tip or lift the bike in a way that will get that ATF to flood the starter clutch. I have a hoist in my garage. Then let it set for a while. A couple of weeks maybe. Then drain ATF and put in fresh oil. If I knew how the oil gets into the starter clutch area, I may be able to pull this off. Thanks...Rusty

Oh ya...Bike is an 86 GL1200SEi

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Typical starter clutch problem, non typical idea

Post by WingAdmin »

Rusty Bike wrote:Hi all, Does anyone know how the oil gets into the starter clutch? Mine is starting to stick/spin/ not crank engine. I have read the Sea Foam trick and have read how the clutch gunks/rusts up. Problem is, I want to sell this bike and it's winter here in NW PA so riding around a couple of hundred miles with Sea Foam in the sump, is not an option. I have Rotella T6 in the bike now. Supposedly, that oil should have cleaned the starter clutch up??? This may sound goofy, but I was thinking, drain the oil then overfill engine with ATF, maybe 2 gallons. Tip or lift the bike in a way that will get that ATF to flood the starter clutch. I have a hoist in my garage. Then let it set for a while. A couple of weeks maybe. Then drain ATF and put in fresh oil. If I knew how the oil gets into the starter clutch area, I may be able to pull this off. Thanks...Rusty

Oh ya...Bike is an 86 GL1200SEi
There is no intentional oil flow back there - which is why you get the sludge buildup in the first place. In your case, you might want to go the route some others have, where they drill a small hole in the case over top of the sprag clutch and use a solvent with a small tube (i.e. brake cleaner) to spray directly into the sprags to clean them out. If you do a search on the site you'll find several people who have done this, and how they did it.

You really need something with a solvent, that will dissolve the sludge enough to break it free, which is why Seafoam works so well.

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

I have seen the "drill hole" threads. I was under the impression that this does not work on the 1200 due to no access holes being drilled in the sprag clutch assembly for the solvent to get into the engaging slugs. The GL1000 has holes in the sprag clutch where you can spray the solvent.

So, what you are saying is that the sprag clutch runs dry? There must be oil getting in there some how.

I'll search some more...Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rusty Bike wrote:I have seen the "drill hole" threads. I was under the impression that this does not work on the 1200 due to no access holes being drilled in the sprag clutch assembly for the solvent to get into the engaging slugs. The GL1000 has holes in the sprag clutch where you can spray the solvent.

So, what you are saying is that the sprag clutch runs dry? There must be oil getting in there some how.

I'll search some more...Thanks
Oh no, it definitely has oil in and around it, it is inside the crankcase. It just does not have much of an oil flow, so the sludge tends to collect there.