1985 LTD Starter Refurbish

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

1985 LTD Starter Refurbish

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Had an issue with a new starter last June that I installed in December 2015. Had it repaired under warranty, but in the meantime I installed the original starter that continued to work. I have the bike in the garage for some maintenance, specifically throttle valve synchronization, and decided to tackle a starter clean and refurbishment as required. I have not included pictures because there is not a lot I can add that is not in the thread by WingAdmin.

The starter has been working, but was sluggish on initial turnover of the engine. I did not want the starter to fail at some inopportune time so some maintenance was needed.

I perused the DIY article by WingAdmin, how to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter, viewtopic.php?t=259, and used it as the basis for my starter rebuild. The pictures of the starter when disassembled were practically the same. The brushes were about 50% gone so I bought a new set to be installed ($11.59 CDN - taxes in).

Getting the armature out of the starter required some finesse, but was accomplished without damaging the wiring. The cleaning and brush install was quite easy.

The reassembly went well, and when bench tested worked as expected. After install I turned the bike over with the kill switch on to prove that it worked. Hooked up the exhaust and started the bike. It turned over 4 times faster (estimate) than previous with less draw on the battery, and started quicker.

One aspect of doing this type of work is that I am finding that there is not a lot on these bikes that can not be done by the DIY mechanic. I think one of the issues facing us all is that we have succumbed to the trends and logic of the day in that we replace items, we no longer get these fixed or fix ourselves. In defense of this philosophy, the shops available to do this type of work appears to be dwindling.

Doing a starter clean, and replacing the brushes will result in more trouble free kilometers from the bike. Doing this work was time well spent, and considering the expense of a new set of brushes versus the cost of the new starter that I have ($250.00 CDN), I should have tackled it before. I do believe that the new starter I bought will be a spare starter for some time to come.

I highly recommend doing this work before it is needed. The difference in starter performance is quite remarkable.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: 1985 LTD Starter Refurbish

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

I reckon your new starter will be well covered by dust before you need it - and then it would probably only require another set of brushes and a service again on the original starter.. :D

You always get a great degree of satisfaction when doing something and it works easily and relatively inexpensively... it is just getting over the thought process as being difficult...

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I think that is the case in many instances. I remember rebuilding starters and generators when I was in my teens back in the '60s at my father's service station. I do have t do some homework on bettering my electrical/electronic skills.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

When I put the starter back together I noticed the locating pin in the starter drive head could actually come out. I feel I got lucky as it stayed where it was. Something to take notice of - see picture:

Locating pin - do not lose!!
Locating pin - do not lose!!

Ernest

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

I agree 100%. I rebuilt my starter last year and man what a difference! I just found a good deal on a factory shop manual on ebay so I got it for $15 bucks. Looking to do my steering bearing in a couple weeks and some other stuff once I'm fully recovered from my surgery.

By the way is it riding season yet? Can't wait for spring!

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed