Is my battery charging?


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »



Can someone tell me if my battery is charging @ 12.6 -13 volts? Always stayed around 13.9 but now has dropped.I just use bike for work & have been keeping it on trickle charge & cut off headlight. If it's not charging can you tell me about how many miles I'll get on full battery? Is the poorboy the best option & where do I buy it?



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 21286
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by WingAdmin »

westy57 wrote:Can someone tell me if my battery is charging @ 12.6 -13 volts? Always stayed around 13.9 but now has dropped.I just use bike for work & have been keeping it on trickle charge & cut off headlight. If it's not charging can you tell me about how many miles I'll get on full battery? Is the poorboy the best option & where do I buy it?
If you are running the engine at 2500 RPM or above, and are seeing at least 13.5 volts (ideal is 13.8) then it is charging correctly.

12.6 volts is what the battery should measure at rest with no load.

Keep in mind that the bike will NOT charge when the engine is at idle, so it is actually running off the battery at that point.

Just how long your bike will run off the battery when not charging depends on many variables: is your bike charging at all? Or partially charging? Do you have the high beam on? What about other accessories? Are you running the engine at higher speeds or lower speeds? What is the ambient temperature? What type of battery do you have? How healthy is it? Are you starting with a full charge? How long did it take to start the bike?

Too many variables to give you a decent estimate.

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

Something like this :

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/350-082 ... fgod4lUEBA

does not cost much , and tells you just where ( Less than 2500 rpm ) your charging system is at various loads, lights, rpm etc .

I have a similar one in vertical style . The advantage is ... just a quick glance tells everything ...

I don't want to know if its 12.8 or 12.9 ... I just need red or green ,
and I can get back to focusing on the road....

SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

WingAdmin wrote:
westy57 wrote:Can someone tell me if my battery is charging @ 12.6 -13 volts? Always stayed around 13.9 but now has dropped.I just use bike for work & have been keeping it on trickle charge & cut off headlight. If it's not charging can you tell me about how many miles I'll get on full battery? Is the poorboy the best option & where do I buy it?
If you are running the engine at 2500 RPM or above, and are seeing at least 13.5 volts (ideal is 13.8) then it is charging correctly.

12.6 volts is what the battery should measure at rest with no load.

Keep in mind that the bike will NOT charge when the engine is at idle, so it is actually running off the battery at that point.

Just how long your bike will run off the battery when not charging depends on many variables: is your bike charging at all? Or partially charging? Do you have the high beam on? What about other accessories? Are you running the engine at higher speeds or lower speeds? What is the ambient temperature? What type of battery do you have? How healthy is it? Are you starting with a full charge? How long did it take to start the bike?

Too many variables to give you a decent estimate.
TY so far I've made 2 runs w/o charging.

harvey01
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by harvey01 »

Have you checked the battery to insure it is able to hold a charge. You might remove it and give it a good overnight charge and then take to a auto parts store and have them load test it.

then using your service manual follow the directions to check the stator to see if it is in fact putting out the proper voltage at the correct rpm range as Wing Admin notes. If not the problem is probably the stator. Also check all wiring and especially all grounds,
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

harvey01 wrote:Have you checked the battery to insure it is able to hold a charge. You might remove it and give it a good overnight charge and then take to a auto parts store and have them load test it.

then using your service manual follow the directions to check the stator to see if it is in fact putting out the proper voltage at the correct rpm range as Wing Admin notes. If not the problem is probably the stator. Also check all wiring and especially all grounds,
Not much of a mechanic (preacher) I stuck multi meter on 3 wires soldered together 2 had 32vts & 1 had 9vts I did not cut wires.Rectifier wires at plug were very hot so cut of plug & reconnected.Is there a test for rectifier?

tbeiler
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:25 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by tbeiler »

From the clymer manual,

To test the voltage regulator/rectifier, disconnect the
electrical connector from the harness (A, Figure 8).
Make the following measurement using an ohmmeter
and referring to Figure 9.
NOTE
The following tests are set up for a positive
ground ohmmeter. If a negative ground
ohmmeter is used the test results will be the
opposite.
1. Connect the negative (-) ohmmeter lead to the green
wire and the positive (+) ohmmeter lead to each yellow
wire. There should be continuity (low resistance).
2. Reverse the ohmmeter leads and repeat Step 1. This
time there should be no continuity (infinite resistance).
3. Connect the positive (+) ohmmeter lead to the
red/white wire and the negative (-) ohmmeter lead to each
yellow wire. There should be continuity (low resistance).
4. Reverse the ohmmeter leads and repeat Step 3. This
time there should be no continuity (infinite resistance).
Voltage Regulator
Performance Test
Connect a voltmeter to the battery negative and positive
terminals (Figure 3). Leave the battery cables attached.
Start the engine and let it idle; increase engine speed until
the voltage going to the battery reaches 14.0-15.0 volts.
At this point, the voltage regulator/rectifier should pre
vent any further increases in voltage. If this does not hap
pen and voltage increases above specifications, the
voltage regulator/rectifier is faulty and must be replaced.

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

tbeiler wrote:From the clymer manual,

To test the voltage regulator/rectifier, disconnect the
electrical connector from the harness (A, Figure 8).
Make the following measurement using an ohmmeter
and referring to Figure 9.
NOTE
The following tests are set up for a positive
ground ohmmeter. If a negative ground
ohmmeter is used the test results will be the
opposite.
1. Connect the negative (-) ohmmeter lead to the green
wire and the positive (+) ohmmeter lead to each yellow
wire. There should be continuity (low resistance).
2. Reverse the ohmmeter leads and repeat Step 1. This
time there should be no continuity (infinite resistance).
3. Connect the positive (+) ohmmeter lead to the
red/white wire and the negative (-) ohmmeter lead to each
yellow wire. There should be continuity (low resistance).
4. Reverse the ohmmeter leads and repeat Step 3. This
time there should be no continuity (infinite resistance).
Voltage Regulator
Performance Test
Connect a voltmeter to the battery negative and positive
terminals (Figure 3). Leave the battery cables attached.
Start the engine and let it idle; increase engine speed until
the voltage going to the battery reaches 14.0-15.0 volts.
At this point, the voltage regulator/rectifier should pre
vent any further increases in voltage. If this does not hap
pen and voltage increases above specifications, the
voltage regulator/rectifier is faulty and must be replaced.
Absolutely Outstanding !!! TY so much! I'll plan on taking tank off in near future.The 3 stator wires are soldiered & are tight against the frame.If I cut them it will be a chore to crimp back together. I guess last resort. Rectifier wires were to hot to touch & plug was melting. Sounds like voltage going thru them to produce heat. I cut off the plug.

harvey01
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by harvey01 »

Westy57, if you plan to do much work on your bike, it certainly helps to have a guide just like it does in life. The factory service manual is usually the best and can be obtained at: www.helminc.com
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

Westy L
It took me awhile after getting MY 1200 to realize its a "SYSTEM" for charging, battery-stator-wires-reg/rect
and you have to check EACH component :

•Battery ... remove and take to a Battery guy and have him load test it and check the acid SG. A dead battery can cause all sorts of funny results

• Reg/rect .. disconnect it and do the test as described by tBieler ( above )
and a Reg/rect gets a little hot when working properly

• Stator ... totally disconnect it and do the three part stator test:
http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm

You should get 50 to 70 volts A output .
and when you are finished, solder the stator wires back ( if it passes all three parts) . Solder . Do not crimp!

Practise several solder joints first . Use a western Union splice and 2 nested shrink wraps.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS

• Connections : Check them all, and cut out any "iffy" ones.

There is around 50 + volts AC flowing here, so each of the 3 parts of the system has to be in tip-top shape


• If you are not up to any or all of that , I bet there are 30 GWRRA members within 50 miles of you who would gladly help you for a cold drink and a supper. All the 1500 and 1800 members of my motorcycle club once owned a GL1200... and they all love to work on a GL1200 because it reminds them of "simpler times " compared to their GL1800.

Have Fun!
I did all that about 15 years ago... took me two Saturday mornings !! ... and I've done nothing electrically since ... and it still charges perfectly

SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

Wow! TY so much! The bike was given to me a year ago after I got out of biking.It's an 86 & I use it back & forth to work (school bus driver / Pastor) I think it rides & runs well enough to put some money into it.It has 59,100 on it.The stator wires are crimp now & very tight stretched so if I cut I'll have to extend the length.But I'll do what I gotta do till I can't do anymore.This site with it's responses is very helpful.I'll let you know next week what I find .Thank you again!

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

As long as you are having a busy weekend or two learning how to Western Union Splice and solder 12 ga wire :
and perhaps extend it 5 inches or so till you get good wire ...
( as in here :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30797)

==========================================
I can recommend two other important electrical things to do :

1) Replace the stupid dogbone fuse with a waterproof in line fuse holder with 30 amp blade fuse

http://img.etobuy.biz/w13/x9/p100/ic218_5.jpg

==========================================
and
2) Think about a 1200 wiring harness:
It gets rid of ALL the iffy connections in your 1200 charging system .

https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... e-harness/

Best $50 I ever spent on my 1200... but took a lot of soldering and shrink wrapping to totally install .
===================================


SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

SilverDave wrote:As long as you are having a busy weekend or two learning how to Western Union Splice and solder 12 ga wire :
and perhaps extend it 5 inches or so till you get good wire ...
( as in here :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30797)

==========================================
I can recommend two other important electrical things to do :

1) Replace the stupid dogbone fuse with a waterproof in line fuse holder with 30 amp blade fuse

http://img.etobuy.biz/w13/x9/p100/ic218_5.jpg

==========================================
and
2) Think about a 1200 wiring harness:
It gets rid of ALL the iffy connections in your 1200 charging system .

https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... e-harness/

Best $50 I ever spent on my 1200... but took a lot of soldering and shrink wrapping to totally install .


You've been a great help Dave TY so much! I'll do the research you've provided & 1st thing asap ck stator & go from there.Even not charging the bike has been a great blessing driving back & forth to school bus barn.I hooked up a permanent trickle charger & right now is the only means of transportation rain or shine. So I get it one piece at a time since the bike didn't cost me a dime.
===================================


SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

westy57 wrote:
SilverDave wrote:As long as you are having a busy weekend or two learning how to Western Union Splice and solder 12 ga wire :
and perhaps extend it 5 inches or so till you get good wire ...
( as in here :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30797)

==========================================
I can recommend two other important electrical things to do :

1) Replace the stupid dogbone fuse with a waterproof in line fuse holder with 30 amp blade fuse

http://img.etobuy.biz/w13/x9/p100/ic218_5.jpg

==========================================
and
2) Think about a 1200 wiring harness:
It gets rid of ALL the iffy connections in your 1200 charging system .

https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... e-harness/

Best $50 I ever spent on my 1200... but took a lot of soldering and shrink wrapping to totally install .


You've been a great help Dave TY so much! I'll do the research you've provided & 1st thing asap ck stator & go from there.Even not charging the bike has been a great blessing driving back & forth to school bus barn.I hooked up a permanent trickle charger & right now is the only means of transportation rain or shine. So I get it one piece at a time since the bike didn't cost me a dime.
===================================


SilverDave
Attachments





User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

Did the test 78-100 ac each wire. All have continuity between themselves.No continuity to ground on any ! Feeling blessed but where should I go from here? Headed to Harbor Freight to buy soldering iron

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

I'm trying to test regulator.No plug. Must I disconnect all wires to test? I have 2 red/white 2 greens 3 yellows how do I know which one the test is referring to?
Attachments



harvey01
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by harvey01 »

Wow, the previous owner or someone has done a lot of wiring on that bike. That photo features connectors that are for house wiring not motor vehicle. Those connectors are not made to withstand the shaking bouncing that goes with a motor vehicle much less on a motorcycle. You would be ahead to solder them together and cover with shrinkwrap.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

harvey01 wrote:Wow, the previous owner or someone has done a lot of wiring on that bike. That photo features connectors that are for house wiring not motor vehicle. Those connectors are not made to withstand the shaking bouncing that goes with a motor vehicle much less on a motorcycle. You would be ahead to solder them together and cover with shrinkwrap.
That's what I found mickey mouse under my tank.I cut off remaining wires on melted plugs.Honda should be ashamed!

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

Regulator/Rect failed test .Does anyone have replacement advise?

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

Four Thoughts :

1) NONE of the components of the GL1200 charging system can be checked while connected
so : remove battery ,go to a load testing battery shop,
un-wire stator and rect/reg both isolated completely !!

2) Twisty murettes ??? Good Grief ... get rid of all those you can find . You probably need a 250 watt soldering gun to do it properly

3) Many ( Most ? ) digital multi meters will not do the 4 part Reg/rect test correctly . You are testing a one way continuity ofr three rectifiers .
I always test mine with an old , moving needle type .
Be sure the rect / reg is totally isolated from everything !!
Pull plugs, or undo all those twisty murettes ... lol

Before doing anything, find a good meter and re-do the 4 part test yellow -green and red-yellow and then reverse..... just to be sure

4) Both Electrosport and Ricks aftermarket rect/reg are "pretty good " according to my GL1200 owning friends :

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bike ... ifier.html


Have fun !!

SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

Just hooked up new Reg/Rectifier I ordered online Idles @ 14.3 at rev shoots to 16 volts is this right?

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

No ... absolutely not !!
If your Voltmeter is accurate , 16 volts will boil, fry , buckle the plates and generally ruin your battery .

Start by checking with a friends voltmeter .. If the meter's 1.5 volt battery is old, Voltmeters can give bad results .

SilverDave

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 566
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by SilverDave »

.... What brand and type of Rect/reg did you" order online" ?

Many of us in my club feel that electrical components, o-rings, brake kits, head gaskets are not worth saving money on .

Yes I know that Honda parts are expensive , but ....

SilverDave

User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »


User avatar
westy57
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: florence,al
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 Aspencade SEI
Previous
Yamaha Venture
550 Kawasaki
500 Suzuki 2 cycle
175 Honda
1966 125 Suzuki
Contact:

Re: Is my battery charging?

Post by westy57 »

SilverDave wrote:No ... absolutely not !!
If your Voltmeter is accurate , 16 volts will boil, fry , buckle the plates and generally ruin your battery .

Start by checking with a friends voltmeter .. If the meter's 1.5 volt battery is old, Voltmeters can give bad results .

SilverDave
CK IT is right .About 14.9 at idle revs over 16 & meter blinks.Is it the china regulator I see others from $60 -$100



Post Reply