84 gl1200 aspencade air compressor relay

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
trickjeep
Motorcycle: 84 GL1200 aspencade
83 yamaha 750 maxim

84 gl1200 aspencade air compressor relay

Post by trickjeep »

I have been searching to no avail, the air ride will not kick on the compressor.( the key is on but the bike is not running) The lcd screen changes over and gives a reading but when pushing the front or rear and increase button the compressor will not kick on. It will release and I get the whoosh of air. Ive checked the switches for continuity and its good. There is a plastic housing with a fuse in the fairing the fuse is good but I don't get any voltage at that fuse. Ive been looking for the relay but have no idea what it looks like. I have no schraeder valve on the left side either to air up the front forks.

Any help is greatly appreciated, the PO swears it was working when he gave me the bike...yeah right. Just like his crappy wiring didn't burn up the radio and the stator. :roll:

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: 84 gl1200 aspencade air compressor relay

Post by oldishwinger »

the manual says turn the key to park, and check for voltage at the ACC fuse, if not its either a broken wire or the main fuse is down.check for voltage at the pump terminals key in park, and button which pumps tires depressed. if no voltage, broken sub harness or pump is gone.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

oldishwinger wrote:the manual says turn the key to park, and check for voltage at the ACC fuse, if not its either a broken wire or the main fuse is down.check for voltage at the pump terminals key in park, and button which pumps tires depressed. if no voltage, broken sub harness or pump is gone.
Actually that's the GL1100 that has to be in Park to adjust the suspension. The GL1200 owner's manual says that the motorcycle should be in ON to adjust the suspension:

GL1200 Suspension Instruction
GL1200 Suspension Instruction

That said, I would look at the compressor relay. If it fails, the solenoids will click to release pressure, but the compressor will not run to inflate the suspension.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

WingAdmin wrote:
oldishwinger wrote:the manual says turn the key to park, and check for voltage at the ACC fuse, if not its either a broken wire or the main fuse is down.check for voltage at the pump terminals key in park, and button which pumps tires depressed. if no voltage, broken sub harness or pump is gone.
Actually that's the GL1100 that has to be in Park to adjust the suspension. The GL1200 owner's manual says that the motorcycle should be in ON to adjust the suspension:

GL1200 Suspension.GIF

That said, I would look at the compressor relay. If it fails, the solenoids will click to release pressure, but the compressor will not run to inflate the suspension.
correct turn the key on for suspension and park to pump tires but the manual suggests to use park to check the electrics and pump.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

So what prevents the compressor on the 86 aspy from operating when the machine is in gear. The gear selector switch? Or what.

trickjeep
83 yamaha 750 maxim

Post by trickjeep »

WingAdmin wrote: That said, I would look at the compressor relay. If it fails, the solenoids will click to release pressure, but the compressor will not run to inflate the suspension.
What does that relay look like and where is it located? There is a 1" smallish rectangular red plug with 2 terminals on it,in the fairing near the compressor, is that the relay?

Also the acc fuse, all fuses in the fuse box are good.

trickjeep
83 yamaha 750 maxim

Post by trickjeep »

Getting closer, I pulled the little red s5h-02 diode/rectifier?? and jumpered the 2 connections for it, then jumped the 2 connections to the tire switch at the bottom and the pump comes on and fills either front or rear depending on which switch I push. Power runs thru the diode down to the fuse and thru that switch to turn on the compressor. It may not be original but I think I can put a simple toggle switch in to turn the compressor on/off and live with that.

I tried with the diode back in and the wires jumped to the switch and got nothing, same with the switch connected and the diode jumped, nothing so I think they both may be bad.?