Looking to buy :-)

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
FLRobert
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Looking to buy :-)

Post by FLRobert »

Hey everyone, Thanks in advance for any and all help. I have worked on other bikes, cars, trucks, etc, but never a Goldwing. I have heard Goldwings, especially old ones, can be very finicky/hard to work on.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/5929857595.html

This is the bike I am looking at. The guy says it has a new battery, new front tire, second newly recovered seat, The front seals do not leak, the back tire is in good shape, and he says it cosmetically is in pretty good shape.

The Bad: He says the Clutch leaks, one of the value covers leak, he said he had changed the oil and used cheap oil and it ran crappy after that and almost stranded him. He changed it back to honda oil and he said it has run much better sense. The bad I am most concerned about is he says it uses coolant. He says two mechanics have looked at it and can't figure out where it is leaking or being burned. he says it does not leave any antifreeze on the ground.

Well he is asking 1200 and I have no idea if that is reasonable but it sure seems to be.

Any help is great help.

Thanks everyone!!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Looking to buy :-)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Valve cover leak - simple fix
Clutch leak - could need a service on the master or slave cylinder - simple fix
Using coolant - maybe not so easy - but depends on how much - and where it is going - cold be simple as a loose hose - radiator leak - or worst case scenario would be head gaskets..

Looks to be a well kept bike....

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Valve cover leak - simple fix
Clutch leak - could need a service on the master or slave cylinder - simple fix
Using coolant - maybe not so easy - but depends on how much - and where it is going - cold be simple as a loose hose - radiator leak - or worst case scenario would be head gaskets..

Looks to be a well kept bike....

He claims he has to "top off" the coolant about every 2000 miles. I could try to get more specifics. He is not shy to chat about the bike.

Thanks so much for replying :)

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Also, what about this one.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20738

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

To top off coolant every 2000 miles is reasonable - but again depends on how much - a cupful could be considered "topping off", any more and I would question the type and length of riding causing the loss of coolant.

the other one looks fine for $800 as it is now - but that bike has not run for 2 years and no one has bought it yet - but if close enough - go and have a look...or make some enquiries.

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

He says he adds 16oz (half a quart) every 1000-2000miles when it starts to over heat. It sounds like a head gasket to me. I am not sure I want that big of a job.

The other bike that is for sale here on the forum, I talked to the guy yesterday about it. He said that basically when he stopped riding it that it was running fine. He assumes I will have to rebuild the brakes and clutch cylinders and such as well as, I assume, go through the carbs. I have done carbs on other things, but never a Goldwing. I am slightly intimidated because I have heard they can be very trick. But, this bike did not have any major problems when parked so I would hope it would just need some little things.

Thoughts?