1200 Aspencade Carb Overflow

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
TAI
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade, 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 2006 GL1800 level 3 trike

1200 Aspencade Carb Overflow

Post by TAI »

I'm a new member and this is my first time to post, so forgive me if this is a redundant question. I have a 1984 Aspencade with 28000 miles. It has been sitting for about 5 years. I rebuilt the carbs replacing the slow jets, main jest and float needles. I did measure the floats before reassembly. Got everything put back together and started her up. Ran pretty good as carbs have not been sync'ed yet. The problem is that gas pours from the overflow tube between the carbs on the right side. Is this due to the float needle sticking? Is there a way to free it without taking the carbs off for the 4th time? Any help is appreciated.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: 1200 Aspencade Carb Overflow

Post by julimike54 »

Best thing to try, using the handle of a screw driver, rap on the suspect carb bowl. This can sometimes loosen a finicky float. NOTE: if you break the carb bowl from rap, you've picked too large of screw driver, and had way too many Wheaties for B-fast. What you may find is that the float level is a hair off in it's setting. A couple of tricks if you have to take it apart, again;

Bench test the carbs for float function (ie gravity feed gas to carb, when the float stops the gas, it's good), then drain the float bowls after filling to measure the amount in each bowl. This will indicate each float is set at the same level.

One thing I've found to help "clean" the carbs is to operate the machine with ATF in the gas (about 1 oz./gallon)
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

TAI
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade, 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 2006 GL1800 level 3 trike

Re: 1200 Aspencade Carb Overflow

Post by TAI »

I went ahead and took them off again and checked everything out. Put it back together and it is running fine with no leaks. I appreciate the responses and suggestions!