Goldwing noob -- lots of reading and still more to go

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
4thgenceli
Motorcycle: '84 Gl1200

Goldwing noob -- lots of reading and still more to go

Post by 4thgenceli »

Just picked up an 84 interstate. $100 and a tow and it's in my garage. It was running about 3-4 months ago (since it's tagged through end of 2018). Previous-previous owner put about 1800-2000 miles on it and then sold it to the guy I bought it from. Apperently there was some grinding coming from it when trying to shift. It wouldn't engage, something. Not sure what.

Previous owner (guy I bought it from) dropped it off at his mechanic and said 'here's 2 grand make it run awesome again'. Three months later...the mechanic just pulled the motor out, and pulled the covers off (clutch removed, front, etc). Some researching and reading about the GL1200s...the motor/transmission seem to be nearly bulletproof. I've seen some dog gears are problematic, shift forks, heel/toe shifter & floorboard combinations, etc. I've also seen some reports of where the driveshaft connects to final drive is bad (worn splines, bad springs, etc).

Right now -- my gut is telling me it's driveshaft related and not transmission. Teh front & rear tires are BALD, cracking and falling apart. I'm guessing the guy that had this just drove the piss out of it and didn't do any kind of maintenance. I'm torn between re-assembling the motor, reinstalling everything and firing it up to see what happens or getting a used motor from a local salvage with 20k less miles and throwing that in.

Hopefully -- it's just the final drive/driveshaft worn and needs replacing and not the motor. Then again..a motor is only $300 to throw it in. Anyway...more reading!

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Re: Goldwing noob -- lots of reading and still more to go

Post by Goofaroo »

Do I understand correctly that the motor is already out of the bike? How many miles? What kind of overall condition is it in? Pics?

Keep in mind that an inexpensive bike can be very expensive to bring up to your expectations. If you're looking for a project, would this be the one to repair or would it serve better as a parts bike?

4thgenceli

Post by 4thgenceli »

Do I understand correctly that the motor is already out of the bike? How many miles? What kind of overall condition is it in? Pics?

Keep in mind that an inexpensive bike can be very expensive to bring up to your expectations. If you're looking for a project, would this be the one to repair or would it serve better as a parts bike?
Yeppers -- motor is already out. Not many good pictures since I just trailered it home and made room in the garage (not a good weekend I picked it up since I just installed cabinets in the garage that same weekend).

It's in good condition actually. New radio, all electrical stuff works, lights, radio, etc. No signs of being down except on the right header (but no indication on the fairing or bags). I think it is very viable to get up & running again. I have another scoot clearly as pictured above. I'd like to get it going for some long highway trips. There's only 74xxx miles on the odometer right now.

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

If you pull the plugs and get the motor on a bench where you can turn it over by hand you should be able to tell if it is shifting properly. It could be as simple as a sloppy heel and toe shifter or a clutch slave problem. Buying a non running bike is sometimes a challenge but when you buy one that has the motor out of it it is hard to perform the simple tests that can give you an idea about the bike's overall health. The information the owner gave you seems vague at best. You'll just have to dig in and figure it out. Of course you'll also want to take a look at the carbs, stator, clutch, timing belts, etc. while the motor is out of the frame.

Now would also be a good time to go through the final drive and give it a thorough inspection and service. Don't forget your brakes, steering head, forks, swingarm, and wheel bearings.

There's lots of good info and people willing to help here on the forum. Good luck and keep us posted. You found a nice looking bike that you'll really enjoy when you get it finished.

4thgenceli

Post by 4thgenceli »

The gentleman I bought it from is not a very mechanical guy. I still feel like I came out ahead. Even with buying a new motor and 2 tires -- I'm still under $600 to get another running scoot. I'll be going through it bit by bit over the next few months to get it running again. Maybe by the time I'm done with the build my oldest can ride it alongside me... :)