Carb question 1200 interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
crackercap
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda GoldWing 1800

Carb question 1200 interstate

Post by crackercap »

I recently pulled carbs on bike i picked up thst had been sitting for several years. I cleaned carbs and installed new kits. I did not do a full dissasssembly of all carbs. Upon reassembly bike will run and idle good but any throttle increase causes engine to quit. I have not attempted a card synchronization yet. It sounds like engine is starving for fuel but fuel flow seems adequate. Any suggestions would be helpful. Many thanks...

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Carb question 1200 interstate

Post by Maz »

After sitting for so long, the carbs will need stripping completely and REALLY cleaning. The slides and inside the carbs tops will need to be gently polished to allow the slides to slide smoothly, which may well be part of your problem. There are no shortcuts to cleaning these carbs.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

crackercap
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda GoldWing 1800

Post by crackercap »

I agree that the carbs should be torn down and cleaned thoroughly, what I do not see is as to why not 1 or 2 carbs out of 4 would not function. Each carb is independent of the others and gets it fuel from a common fuel line. Is the stalling coming from poor fuel supply, pressure, etc. Again, I would think at least one carb would pick up and run, even if very poorly. Also, the slides,etc are working very smoothly and show no signs of dragging. I just hate to have to pull those carbs again.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

crackercap wrote:I agree that the carbs should be torn down and cleaned thoroughly, what I do not see is as to why not 1 or 2 carbs out of 4 would not function. Each carb is independent of the others and gets it fuel from a common fuel line. Is the stalling coming from poor fuel supply, pressure, etc. Again, I would think at least one carb would pick up and run, even if very poorly. Also, the slides,etc are working very smoothly and show no signs of dragging. I just hate to have to pull those carbs again.
Have you checked the float heights? Are all of the float bowls filling to the same level and, if so, how much fuel is in each float bowl?
Each float valve also has a fine gauze filter behind it which needs to be checked/cleaned. The amount of fuel in the bowls can be checked by draining each one into a jar. It has been mentioned on here somewhere, roughly how much fuel should drain out of each, but I can't remember. You could also try setting up a temporary fuel supply straight to the carbs. Just make sure the supply tank is secured quite high above the bike to allow a decent gravity feed, as you won't be using the pump. I think you will find that the carbs will have to come off again though.
Also, check to make sure you have no air leaks at the manifolds, where the carbs clamp into and where the manifolds bolt to the motor.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 »

I just got my 86 goldwing running again,I found that for me the best way to get the right amount of fuel to each carb was to use a shot glass and measure how much fuel was getting to each one,on mine it was 1 ounce per carb and now it runs like new,the reason I did the shot glass was because when I tried to set as the manual says for some reason they would all be different fuel levels,don't know why but the shot glass method worked,and tho the outside of them still needs to be cleaned more,I replaced all internal components and they super clean on the inside. :D