Cleaning the tank while on the bike?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
swimtech01
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Cleaning the tank while on the bike?

Post by swimtech01 »

Hello friends,

Is it feasible to clean out the gas tank on my 1986 Aspencade SEi without removing the tank?

The bike hasn't run in many years. It has about a gallon of fuel left in it and definitely smells of varnish. In addition, there is a fair amount of rust visible, especially on the cap and in the spout area. Was wondering if fuel lines could be manipulated to allow for draining the tank completely. Also, what product would be safe to add to the tank for cleaning... Or, should I just bite the bullet and remove the tank for a proper cleaning.

Thanks much!

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: Cleaning the tank while on the bike?

Post by geraldm »

IMO I would remove and clean proper ,, the best thing I have found to clean tanks is 20 or 30 small little stones in tank not round ones but sharper crushed rock and shake the hell out of it for half hour . you should find that it removes most of the rust . then if you like can get some cleaner and finish the cleaning job . better than wondering whats in there . good luck , have a good one

swimtech01
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Post by swimtech01 »

Thanks for the advice. The more I tinker with the bike, the more I appreciate what a fine machine this was in its day, and still can be. I'm planning on making fixes for the long-term so this bike will serve me for a long time... dropping the tank seems like the right way to resolve this problem, and prevent others in the future.

Thanks again - Bill

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

when finished ,i would rinse the tank out again with a gasoline 2or3times just to make sure there is nothing left of the cleaners you might have used that might attack rubber hoses etc.

Saintjude33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

Post by Saintjude33 »

If you end up removing the tank, I would plug all holes, put about a half-gallon of white vinegar and a half cup of salt in it, throw a double handful of loose, spare nuts, bolts, screws, nails- anything metal you can find- into it and shake it while you watch The Boondock Saints.

After the movie- dump it out, throw a cup of gas/oil mix in it and do the same for ten minutes.

I've reconditioned dozens of nasty tanks this way- the salt/vinegar makes a cheapo muriatic acid mixture, and the whole thing will kill off any rust left in the tank from sitting.

crackercap
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda GoldWing 1800

Post by crackercap »

I bought a Honda Interstate that had sat 11 years and the tank and carbs were in bad shape, I heard about using white vinegar. I removed the sending unit, poured in about 3 gallons of white vinegar, blew air thru the petcock after the vinegar had sat for about 4 days, did this several times, swished it around in the tank many times then siphoned out. The crap came out was unbelievable, then allowed to air dry couple days, vacuumed out tank with small hose end that I could get in corners, etc. The strainer inside tank took extra time. I then bought a fuel filter that was clear and could be taken apart to help catch anything residual. So far, the fuel filter has been clean. That worked for me, the vinegar can be used to kill weeds I was told.