helmet audio radio hookup

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

helmet audio radio hookup

Post by walker70 »

Hi,would like to know what is a good type to use with oem radio din cord. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: helmet audio radio hookup

Post by WingAdmin »

walker70 wrote:Hi,would like to know what is a good type to use with oem radio din cord. :D
There are quite a few manufacturers, but I have only ever used J&M headsets. You can get cheaper headsets, but J&M are tough, resilient and sound good - especially their higher end "Elite" headsets.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

I concur with WingAdmin on J&M. They are pricey but they have good sound and work well. They make sets for different style helmets also. I would also recommend Edsets which make a similar product.

Both now have the capability to provide Bluetooth operation.

You can deal directly with J&M or go through one of their dealers. I have dealt with two such dealers, Overby's Two Wheel sound, and Sierra Electronics. Sierra Electronics probably has more options available in some different price ranges.

There really is two ways to do this, one is to buy the kit and install them yourself in your old helmet. Another way is to buy a new Helmet from one of the retailers and have them do the install professionally and send it complete to you. The biggest problem with doing that is to insure that the helmet is a proper fit for you. Some retailers may allow you to send them your helmet and do the install but all shipping would probably be at your expense. Buying a new helmet is not a bad idea if yours is 5+years old.

Another option on buying is your local cycle dealer can usually order the J&M sets and his price might be worth considering.

I'm sure you can check Seirra's website for a list of rallies they will attend this year. If you plan to go there or it is close you can probably get the new helmet after trying it on and have the kit installed or just have the kit installed in your helmet.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 »

Thanks for the info,I will check them out.