Best Tire Selection

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
fahrout
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade
2000 GL1500SE

Best Tire Selection

Post by fahrout »

Hi, Folks:

I've owned four 'Wings over the last 36 years and never had to spend a lot of time picking tires. Seems as though I always traded in or up before I ever wore out a set. My latest ride is a very pristine, low-mileage '85 1200A that is now in desperate need of some new rubber.

I've searched and researched the topic and have yet to come up with any comprehensive reviews of tires for this particular model. I've been running Dunlop K491 Elites. I first thought I'd try a set of Michelins if for no other reason that I've been running them exclusively on all my other vehicles with excellent results for many years. Then, after discerning what I thought were favorable trends in the reviews I was able to find, I've pretty much settled on Avons.

I would really appreciate hearing some personal experiences and recommendations from other owners of this model. Even though I'm leaning toward Avons, I could certainly be nudged in another direction.

Thanks for your input. Ride Safe.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Re: Best Tire Selection

Post by bstig60 »

You are going to get a lot of Varying opinions. Tires are like motor oils, everyone has their favorite! I am on my second set of Kenda Kruz on my 99 1500. Got 22K out of the 1st set. At half the price of Avon's or Dunlops, I think they have done very well. I had a set of these on my 88 when I sold it and they handled and rode well in both wet and dry conditions..
Bill

fahrout
2000 GL1500SE

Post by fahrout »

Thanks so much, Bill. I might have to look into the Kendra's as well.

See you on the road.

Gary

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Post by flash1942 »

I have used Michelins on my two last bikes with fantastic results and that is considering wear rate and traction.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

certainly comes down to personal choice I think as each type of tire can determine how the bike performs too. Having tried the dunlop e3 and avon venom x I settled for the avons, mainly because I felt they give a slightly softer ride than the dunlops, although the dunlops preformed well too.

Incidentally, if you decide on the avons, the venom x has been intergrated into the cobra range, which has both bias and radial types, be sure that the tires are bias.

the pressures are also different from the manual

good luck,

fahrout
2000 GL1500SE

Post by fahrout »

Wow! That's some great information. I hadn't gotten far enough into it yet to educate myself on the difference between Venom and Cobra and especially the concept of radial vs bias.

If you or any other riders out there can tell me a little bit more about personal experience and the pros and cons of ply selection, I would be very grateful.

Until then, ride safe.

Regards,

Gary

oldishwinger

Post by oldishwinger »

fahrout wrote:Wow! That's some great information. I hadn't gotten far enough into it yet to educate myself on the difference between Venom and Cobra and especially the concept of radial vs bias.

If you or any other riders out there can tell me a little bit more about personal experience and the pros and cons of ply selection, I would be very grateful.

Until then, ride safe.

Regards,

Gary
With the 1200 it can only be bias made tires as the rims are made to only handle these, placing radial on theses rims may create a safety issue, I know some have tried it but I've seen diagrams of the way radials seat on a bias rim, and personally I wouldnt entertain it, think carefully.

Goofaroo
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

My bike came with a new set of Kenda Kruz tires and so far I really like them. However, I am a big fan of the Shinko brand and have had extremely good results with them on some of my other bikes. I used to be a Metzler guy and have run quite a few Michelins. I've dabbled in Avons and Pirellis but was not impressed. Of the big name tires I have probably been most satisfied with Continentals but the last few years I have been trying less expensive tires and the Shinko brand has so far been outstanding. Not only much less pricey but the performance and durability has been at least as good as the more expensive brands if not better.

So far I really like the Kendas but when it comes time to replace them it will be either another set of Kendas or Shinkos. I will never buy expensive tires again.

fahrout
2000 GL1500SE

Post by fahrout »

Many thanks, Goofaroo and an especially big wave to oldishwinger. You guys have tripled my tire knowledge and have definitely pointed me in the right direction.

Ride safe.

Gary

paneled
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 aspencade sei

Post by paneled »

I have an 86 sei and I run shinkos front and rear, I`m kind of hard on the rear one
and am on my second one, but they handle great, they go where you point them not
down the tar snakes, I like them!
86 aspy sei
54 chevy panel truck
68 chevy van
69 chevy van
64 chevy van

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

My choice is kind of boring....in '86 it came with Dunlops, I've stuck with Dunlops over it's entire life. Now on E3s, all have performed well and stick in all kinds of conditions (that's my criteria). Mileage may not be impressive, 12-17k miles, but it is very much dependent on how it's ridden. I wore out a front tire in the Rocky Mountains, just me on the bike and the tires feathered severely. I thought it was from low tire pressure, the Dunlop guys assured me that wasn't it, it was from sliding the tire through the many curves. I never knew it was sliding. Put new rubber on and stopped riding it like a sport bike (sorta) :lol:

Good luck with your rubber choice!

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike