New to the world of Goldwings!!! Help!!!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
JediMasterZurc
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

New to the world of Goldwings!!! Help!!!

Post by JediMasterZurc »

Hey everyone! So last week I bought my first Goldwing. It is a 85 1200 Interstate. I got it for $900 and I feel as if I got a pretty good deal. It has the alternator upgrade on it and all of the fairings and stuff is thete for the most part.

That being said I have ran into a few issues while riding the bike to work over the past week.

1.) Last night the clutch seemed to be giving out. I added some DOT 4 when I got to work and it seemed to be working fine. Until I got home and it was doing the same thing. It was like I was barely pulling the clutch lever and there is alot of play in it. From what I have read I tried to bleed it first so I gave that the old college try before I jumped to conclusions but if anyone has any suggestions Im an open book. Anywho I bled the line and it seemed like there was some air in it. It feels much firmer than it did last night but my seat is getting reupholstered so I will update how it went after the weekend and I ride her.

2.) Speedo stopped working out of no where and my gas guage is wayyyy off. I had this same issue one one of my cars, it turned out the speedo cable was loose i plugged it back in and good to go. Unfortunatly I pulled apart the dash on the Millenium Falcon (thats what I named her dont judge) and the speedo cable was super loose. I tighted it thinking that would fix the issue but when I rode her that evening it didnt do squat. Also it stopped working randomly on the highway. It was reading 65 and then 0 in a split second. Maybe someone has a remedy.

3.) The front fork isnt holding air. I think it may be the seal on the filler point. I go to pump up air and it leaks right out and it sounds like its coming from that point. I changed the valve core but that didnt work. Im going to see if there is an oring in there today that may have went bad before I go buying a whole new one. Again someone let me know if you have run into this problem before I would love to hear what you have encountered.

4.) Last but not least is where I am the most confused. Im going to have to add some pics bc that is how confused I am lol. Under the left hand covers (the ones on the fairing and under the snap compartment) I have found a couple of quick disconnect but I have the slightest clue what they are to.

I just wanted to thank everyone before hand on helping me out I really appreciate it. I am not extrememly mechanically inclined but with pictures or a video I can usually get things figured out. Here are some pics. Thanks guys!!!!
Attachments

The Millenium Falcon
The Millenium Falcon

Fork filler
Fork filler

Random quick Disconnects
Random quick Disconnects

Where I can see them from
Where I can see them from

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: New to the world of Goldwings!!! Help!!!

Post by HALBUDD »

Ill give number three and number four a stab, about the speedo if its like my 85 aspy it may be the speed sensor at the wheel. If you take a look at some other posts on it you will see how others have fixed it. I think it has to do with the plastic gears and a small magnet. On the lose connectors under your left pocket Honda used the same basic wire harness for the interstate and the aspy. The difference is the aspy had more stuff like radio,c.b. and other add ons. The interstate was a basic model where the aspy and the limited edition where steps above the interstate. The aspy and interstate have all the same parts ie motor, brakes,frame and wheels to state a few. Looks like you got a nice looking bike have fun with the falcon haha. -------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Post by twocams »

That looks like one of those expensive alternator conversions. Think that is about $900 by itself. looks like a nice bike, have fun.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

GWs are a nice bike and you will have lots of good riding on yours.

Clutch can be a challenge. Not only bleed the line, have a look at the clutch lever bushing. After 30 odd years things wear and it is a simple fix. Here is what I did to mine:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31832
The clutch bushing P/N is 22885-MB0-006

Another issue is the clutch MC could be extremely dirty and require cleaning. Check out the various threads on this forum for more info and how to do a rebuild of the MC. I also did the clutch slave as well. There was a lot of crud in it. It is an easy clean, replacing of spring and oil seal. Part numbers are:

Spring - 22864-MB0-003
Seal/Cup - 22865-MG9-003

Getting at the speed issue. Checked the fiche for the speed sensor P/N for your bike and it is not listed. It is also obsolete. There is one listed for my bike, P/N 37700-MG9-951. Probably fit your bike, but you'll be hard pressed to find a new one, maybe a used on the web sites. Here is a thread to read, one of many:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35786

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

Congrats on the bike. Like someone stated earlier those connectors most likely were for a radio and or a c/b add on. These things after 30 years like Ernest said just need some tlc. In regards to your fork leaking air I'm guessing they could use a rebuild after 30 years. Not hard to do but doing a rebuild with new bushings and seals would probably solve your problem and you would have a nice handling ride and be set for a while when it comes to forks. Best of luck to you. There are a lot of great folks on here that are willing to help so don't be afraid to ask. There is a lot of information in the how to section and manual section as well.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

JediMasterZurc

Post by JediMasterZurc »

Are all of the manuals hard copies that you have to pay for? Or is there a digital copy I can pick up?

JediMasterZurc

Post by JediMasterZurc »

And thanks for all that have replied so far. It really is a huge help! I hate taking stuff to a mechanic, I love to tinker!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Post by HALBUDD »

I sent you a PM if you dont get let me know--------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Lots of good information and help available to you here. Regarding the bike suspension and after 32 years, the suspension is in reality probably going to be pooched. Depending on your timeline for keeping the bike, you may want to consider new fork springs as well. An option for the rear is to rebuild the air shocks or put a standard non air shock on the back, works very well.

Just a thought.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

shawnee1952
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000
1987 Gl1200 Interstate

Post by shawnee1952 »

there is a link at the top of this page that will help you get digital manuals for most GW's.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rzaugg »

As far as the clutch problem, you've already been told the easy things to check. If it's a recurring problem, you very well might have a slave cylinder that is leaking into the crankcase. Sorry have to pull it out to check. As far as the speedo, as an Interstate model it is most likely a cable driven speedo so the guys that have mentioned the magnets and sensor were thinking Aspencade. Put it up on the center stand, put a jack under the engine so that you can lift the front wheel off of the floor, take the cable loose at the wheel (left side), spin the wheel and make sure that the part the cable fits into is spinning. If so, get a cordless (or corded) drill and snug the chuck down onto the actual cable. Not the housing. doesn't have to be real tight. Run the drill and see what your speedo does. The drive part in the front axle is usually pretty durable and haven't seen a lot of problem with them, is most likely a cable or the speedo itself.

RZ